HOT Water NOT PIPING HOT THIS IS VERY CONFUSING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a condenser boiler, my radiators are heating up but the water is never piping hot. With the heating off and water on its just the same. I switch on for one hour and can have a wash etc but never a bath, it only gets hot and plentiful if its been on for several hours.
Now, if I use my immersion heater, the water heats up super quick and is perfect, but surely this this not economical, I should just be getting my heating and hot water from my central heating system.
Does anyone have any suggestions. Please.

Sponsored Links
Oh yes, a thermostat, yes e o have one on the side. I have tried increasing this but I don't really think it makes a difference, also, if I just use the immersion heater my water is piping.

Sponsored Links
There is a box on the side and this is set to 70 degrees. I didn't know this had nothing to do with the immersion heater and presumed it was set to a temperature whether I heated the water from my immersion heater or the central heating.

There is a box on the side and this is set to 70 degrees. I didn't know this had nothing to do with the immersion heater and presumed it was set to a temperature whether I heated the water from my immersion heater or the central heating.
The immersion heater will have it's own thermostat.

The one on the side controls the boiler. Try adjusting it (or even remove it temporarily for a few hours).

I have the past increased this but reluctantly, I have done some searching at everywhere seems to say this should be at a max of 70, soi take it that's why the fitter set it at that, I didn't really notice any great difference when I increased it about 12 months ago and after my Internet searching quickly put it back to 70.
Is it safe to higher this setting, do you think my system needs a flush out.

The thermostat on your gas boiler is set too low, if the gas boiler can only produce say 50 C then how do you expect the HW cylinder to be at 70C turn your boiler thermostat up and the HW cylinder will get hotter

I have the past increased this but reluctantly, I have done some searching at everywhere seems to say this should be at a max of 70, soi take it that's why the fitter set it at that, I didn't really notice any great difference when I increased it about 12 months ago and after my Internet searching quickly put it back to 70.
Is it safe to higher this setting, do you think my system needs a flush out.
I was suggesting that it might be faulty and that suggesting that you alter or remove it would help clarify it.

A setting of 70 is designed to kill legionella bacterium within a short time period. However, water coming out of the tap above 50 will scold. Try getting your head round that little conundrum :confused:

Mind you, forgot about the other obvious :oops: :
The thermostat on your gas boiler is set too low, if the gas boiler can only produce say 50 C then how do you expect the HW cylinder to be at 70C turn your boiler thermostat up and the HW cylinder will get hotter

My boler is a Worcester green star 24i I think, 2 controls on the front, one for lighting and one, I presume the one you mean, to regulate, this turns from nought - max. It was I would say, just over halfway turned so I have now turned more towards MAX but not that far. When it was fitted the fitter said to leave it where it was, but I will disobey him and give it a try, that is, if this is what you mean. Will this make my water hotter?

Thank you for your replies. I have found the user manual and having adjusted the control already mentioned this has most definately made a difference to my hot water and also to the radiators which are hotter. The water isnt piping but there is a definate difference.
Below are the controls on the front of my boiler

This is setting it has always been.

This is what I have raised it to.

Is it safe to leave it at this setting. When we had the boiler fitted the installer told us we would not need to adjust any of this and to leave it as it was, to be honest we have never had really piping hot water unless we set the timer to about 2 hours for water.
I have also looked online at the user manual for my boiler and in the faults for 'water not hot enough' it says to adjust the control on the actual immersion heater.
Thats what I find confusing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back