Hot water OK, central heating not working unless water 'on'!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear experts :idea: ,

I'm a novice but having an attempt at fixing what I think is a boiler problem :rolleyes: .

Boiler: Ideal Classic FF380 (6 years old)

PROBLEM: Central heating doesn't work on its own but it does if the hot water is 'on' at the same time :cry: .

OTHER INFO: works fine for hot water but doesn't fire up if only central heating 'on' button is pressed.

Am suffering in the credit crunch so any advice would be much appreciated! If i've left out some important detail, sorry but pls ask.

Many thanks, Anya :D

Sponsored Links
Need more info. ;)

Please read Before You Post a Question and supply the info requested.

Also, what controls do you have?
Do you have a pump?
How many motorized valves do you have and what type are they?

Thanks, answers in green!

1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)
IDEAL CLASSIC FF380 - GAS

2) What is / is not happening.
CENTRAL HEATING WORKING IF HOT WATER ON BUT NOT ON ITS OWN
Central heating will not fire up boiler when switched on, even if room thermostat turned up (it clicks around 17 degrees).
Also, before when the central heating was working, the boiler was firing up intermittently even when not switched on.

3) Has ANYTHING else been done or changed recently.
Central heating was turned off for 2-3 months.
4) When did the problem start?
Around 2 weeks ago (been running central heating by heating water at same time).
Many thanks again,

Anya

More details:

I have a Unvented water heater with a 'WILO' pump
Has Honeywell V4043H1056 motorised valve
Has another box(?) Danfoss Type HPA2 switched to auto.

Many thanks for your time to advise.

Sponsored Links
ITS that time of year again when the heating is switched back on the probable cause here is the 3 port or 2 port valve is faulty or the thing is stuck which you will have to take off (easy) and turn the spindle with a pair of pliers to loosen spindle.

Unvented water heater
In the airing cupboard, covered in foam insulation? That's the Hot Water cylinder.

You said:
Honeywell V4043H1056 motorised valve
Has another box(?) Danfoss Type HPA2 switched to auto.
The Danfoss is also a motorized valve.

Does the pipe leave the pump and then form a T, one branch going to the Honeywell, the other to the Danfoss? If so, one branch will connect to the HW cylinder, the other to the radiators. Which valve is CH and which is HW?

Hi, just checked.

HW - Honeywell
CH - Danfoss

As I moved a electrical wire, the Danfoss valve began to operate. It may be a loose connection(?). Will wait for advice before I do anything further. Have managed to route some tension into the wire so that it operates for now.

Many thanks for your advice,

Anya

Turn off power to ch system at switched fuse outlet and when you are certain it has been isolated open the wiring center box and check all connections are connected and done up tight.

Thanks ALL for your kind help and advice. Will isolate elec supply and check all connections OK. If any ongoing problems, will be back in touch appealing for help.

Thanks very much.

Anya

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back