Hot water on - reverse flow ? into CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
S-Plan system.

When HW on, radiators get hot. Checked motorised valves, they appear to be OK.

BG engineer reckons the fault is with my return pipework which is not covered by their servicecare agreement.

Any ideas what needs doing/where to look to resolve it ?

Also, would it be worth changing the manual bypass to an automatic bypass ?

Sponsored Links
i would say you have probably got two returns on the radiator pipework back to the primaries causing reverse circulation.

by the looks of it they'll be under the floorboards.

thanks - I was considering changing to abv to make the system more "efficient", not to solve the reverse circulation issue

Sponsored Links
sort the problem out first, then add your goodies unless you like cooking in the summer.

should the bypass terminate in the return where it does, or should it terminate under the floor with the rads/hw return in a "common" return

what is the gate valve on the hw return for - its doesn't move

wheres the cold feed.

You sure that blue valve is not letting by.

Has any rads or work been done recently.

cold feed - on other side of airing cupboard I believe

blue valve - yes checked it - from cold, there is no heat on other side of valve - when opened manually, pipe gets hot straight away

have only been in house for 4 months, no work done by me

so would adjusting this prevent reverse flow (without breaking anything else !!)

if ya can find the return pipework from the radiator circuit ya could fit a check valve which might sort it

cold feed - on other side of airing cupboard I believe

blue valve - yes checked it - from cold, there is no heat on other side of valve - when opened manually, pipe gets hot straight away

have only been in house for 4 months, no work done by me

Does it look as though a radiator has been added anywhere, maybe a newer rad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back