Summer reverse CH. flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the summer unless I lock shield them off I get some radiators hot when only the DHW is on (all CH. Off) I think I know what my problem is, my son has read that when I installed my own CH System I should have brought the HW cylinders return out so it was the last connected returning to the boiler! So OK that’s what I have got wrong and apparently, this will cause reverse flow allowing the radiators to get hot. But I just can’t get my head around is how the water could flow to cause this with both zone valves closed!

Could someone indicate on my drawing how this could happen please?

Regards from a perplexed Richard

Sponsored Links
Easy.

The single rad next to the boiler is the biggest problem. valve that off both ends and it may stop.

Easy.

The single rad next to the boiler is the biggest problem. valve that off both ends and it may stop.

Yes but I cannot perceive how (which route it would take) the water could travel the wrong way, to me looking at the diagram I just can’t see it, I know it’s happening but how? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Don't study it too long, it can also reverse circulate the other way as well.

The radiator shown next to the boiler is wrong in both cases.

Don't study it too long, it can also reverse circulate the other way as well.

The radiator shown next to the boiler is wrong in both cases.

Yes I think I can see that’s a distinct possibility now. As long as I can see the problem I can then decide the best way forward in changing my runs to properly elevate my mistake.

All the help I have received here is very much appreciated. :D

Still the same radiator that's causing the problem Dan.

One would need to mark which radiators are reversing to tell which road it's going.

I would guess the 2 shown together the most likely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back