Hot Water Options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

We are moving in to our new (1820s) house next week and need some advice on water heating.

The house is in a very small village with no gas, we don't want Oil fitted as the house has 2 very nice Woodburners. Neither have back boilers on.
The house did have a woodburning range cooker fitted at one time which is/was plumbed in to a bare copper cylinder in an airing cupboard. The cylinder is the type with the cold tank attached to the top of the cylinder (part of the cylinder itself). The 2 pipes from the old range are still in place though.

As a short term for hot water im going to use the immersion heater.

What I would like to do is buy solar panels later in the year for hot water.

Can anyone sudgest a suitable cylinder to use?

Im thinking about a vented cylinder in the loft with the cold tank above, use the immersion day to day until the solar goes in, then fit the solar to the cylinders coil later on. Does this sound acceptable?

If not any sudgestions?

Hot water demand is, taps only. Fitting an electric shower when we move in so cold feed only. Washing machine is cold only as is Dishwasher.

Thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links
I think your idea seems fine.

The only thing I would suggest you think about is whether you are 100% certain you will never want/have ch fitted in the future.

If there is the slightest doubt in your mind I would suggest, for a small extra cost, you have an indirect solar cylinder fitted now, to cover all your options.

Go for as large a solar cylinder that you can fit in and/or physically afford.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back