Hot Water Pressure Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys we live in a bungalow that has gravity fed hot water, and we have just fitted a new bathroom at the bottom end of our bungalow, but there is no pressure in the hot water taps, so basically i need to know can i just fit a single feed shower pump after the hot water cylinder to boost the pressure, if so what would be the recommended size and do i need a special valve on the cylinder, the bathroom is about 30 meters from the cylinder and is fed by 15mm pipes. Any info would be helpful, and any idea of a cheap pump supplier??

thanks

whitie

Sponsored Links
Yes you can pump it, yes you'll need a special fitting (called a Surrey Flange) on your cylinder.

As for what pump you need, that rather depends on what it's feeding. How many hot outlets do you have, what are they and how many people are living in your home?

Don't buy a cheap pump, it's a false economy. Stuart Turner Monsoon is the way to go

it will be feeding a bath and basin and kitchen sink only, the bath and basin and kitchen all have mixer taps.

do i need a positive or negative pump ??? whats the difference??

Positive pumps need the cold tank to be above the pump, negative ones will work with the tank on the same level or even below the pump. If you mount it on the floor next to your hot water cylinder a positive one will be fine.

A 2.0 bar will do you fine, a 3.0 bar will be nice but more expensive. You'll need to fit double-check valves to the cold side of any mixers that don't already have them, and make sure your loft tank is large enough to cope with the extra demand

Sponsored Links
Positive pumps need the cold tank to be above the pump, negative ones will work with the tank on the same level or even below the pump.

not quite, positive pumps need the outlet to be below the tank to give a minimum flow to trigger the flow switches.

so is it positive or negative i need ?? the cold water tank that feeds the cylinder is in the loft on a platform so i would say about 1.5m difference from top of cylinder..........

also there is not much scope to fit a surrey flange, because of existing pipework could I use an essex flange instead??????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back