Hot Water Pressure with a Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new COMBI boiler fitted (Worcester Greenstar 35 CDi) which I am very,very impressed with it is soooo very quiet and the heating comes to life very quickly. I do have a small concern and that is that the hot water pressure is not as good as when I had a cylinder type system (This had a 1.5 Bar pump installed).
The flow rate from the cold water main is well over 17 litres a minute and the pressure is about 2 BAR, this boiler I believe is capable of 16 + litres a minute, is there any way I can pump the water to get as good a shower as I used to have.
Thank You

Sponsored Links
No, sort of. It's FLOW limited to keep the water hot enough in the winter for a bath.
You could get the flow limiter taken out but 2 bar isn't that high, so I doubt you'd get more water through it, and it would be cooler...

What flow of hot are you getting?

Chris R is right; you cannot achieve a higher hot water flow rate than the Greenstar is capable of; if memory serves me this model it is about 14l/m (I think the 40CDi does around 16l/m). Their www site will confirm.

If you water main is delivering circa 17l/m we would not have specced the 35CDi because you would be unlikely to see it ever running full bore - normally people mix in cold at the point of use at the ratio of between 1:4 or 1:3.

However, most shower heads can only deliver around 10 litres per minute, I assume that you haven't got a 'drench head' in there which can do 20l/m.

If you have a normal head and the pressure is drastically falling off as soon as you open the tap, you could fit a water accumulator on the mains supply to give a more consistent pressure.

As things stand 2 bar static pressure is good but if the water main is restricted in diameter this will fall drastically as the flow rate is moved between 0 and 17l/m. Therefore once you get to 10 litres the pressure might be abysmal compared to your old shower pump.

If you have a drench head your options are altogether more limited and a combi is not a good match for these products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back