hot water problem flowmatic 20-80 rs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi having problems with my boiler which is vokera flowmatic 20-80 rs, hot water only works when central heating is on. realise the boilers old and prob better being replaced but need a short term fix to get me by just now. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
There is no short term fix, but there is a long term one assuming you can find someone competent and a diverter valve service kit.

yes have the domestic diaphragm replaced by some one competent in doing so, probably 10 quid max for parts and about an hour's labour for whatever your local labour rate is!

Grant, where in the country are you?

It may or may not be the diaphragm that is root cause of your problems. Boiler indeed is getting quite old, but it is resliant and can still give you good service if looked at by someone who is not a part changer or gunning to replace your boiler. Do this kind of work regularly and had a Flowmatic a few weeks ago with same symptoms. That one is now working well.

Sponsored Links
The diaphragm may be ok because your diverter must be partially opening for you to get some hot water. When working properly it'll reach the microswitch for HW only mode. When operating on CH, if HW is drawn, the same microswitch will override the CH command. Therefore you need a full kit which will include diaphragm, shuttle, head shaft/sping/pin & washers.

Thanks I have an eng coming today, just wanted an idea before it was looked at!

I do have to say that I would want to replace ( or boil in citric acid ) most of the moving parts.

Its one of the least easy jobs on that model and I would allow 90 minutes.

Tony

I would suggest do nothing for present BUT check operation of boiler during HW demand. The diverter may well be operating correctly (but have reservations as neglect and slippage of service gums up the parts). Have yet to replace the shuttle but almost certain tail piece will need replacing.

OP, have you checked if the person who is going to look at the boiler, is familar with boiler operation? That is paramount as throwing parts at this or any other boiler, is a fools way of effecting repairs. You chose to not say where in the country you are. There are a few guys here who are a dab hand at this boiler, so posting location could pay dividends.

Thanks I have an eng coming today, just wanted an idea before it was looked at!

He has already chosen someone. Probably expecting that all engineers are familiar with all boilers!

The reality is that its probably going to be someone with no experience or even desire to repair who will try to sell a new boiler instead!

Tony

Thanks for (most of) the replys, as i said only wanted an idea of cost and the best option.

As it turns out Tony the eng didnt try sell me a new boiler as you expected and believe it or not I did have the common sense to ask if he was familiar with the make!

Boiler running away lovely, thanks again for the positive replys!! :D

I am glad that you were lucky and found someone willing to repair the boiler.

You did not say where you are and that can have an effect on the price for the repair.

If only the diaphragm is to be replaced then in our local area I would charge £106 including a basic service but some smaller parts are often needed which would be extra.

Tony

Tony , please don't undermine the RGI's out there , plenty of good engineers who have better things to do than visit a DIY forum. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back