Hot water problem, please help!!

Sponsored Links
So something blocking the hot water tank output?
Not necessarily, what I mentioned in post #14. The cold water storage cistern need to be checked it’s got water in it and filling back up correctly. The gate valve might be not fully open, or closed but not fully and letting by. All basic stuff for an experienced plumber.

Only moved in a few days ago - previous owners moved to Spain to retire..
For background, if you open a tap till you get hot water, then close it, and then open it again a few minutes later, I'd guess you get water straight away. How long do you have to leave it for the problem to recur?

Sponsored Links
Just an update. It looks like there’s some sort of physical block in the pipes. After some tinkering (some sort of pressure pump applied apparently) the downstairs bathroom started working but the blockage appears to now be holding and immovable. The plumber says it feels like there a tap controlling the flow (even though that’s not likely) - it’s that blocked!
We may have to start tracing the pipes back and removing the floorboards etc. Daughter very upset - just had the floors done..

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I'd be back flushing that with the mains supply first of all to see if there's a correct flow through the pipework. May even shift the blockage, is the cold cistern clean? Are you in a hard water area where the cylinder coil may have scaled up and now a bit of that has found it's way into the outlet.

You need a Plumber, the Guy you've found is either not a Plumber, doesnt want the work, or is looking to sell you an expensive fix a bit further down the line. Your daughter has a very simple, tried and tested system, of which there are countless fitted throughout the Land.

It is simply a process of elimination to find out what the issue is, as said, start with checking the cold storage cistern has water in in, and the outlet isn't blocked. If that appears ok, I'd be looking at the outlet from the cylinder, to see if there is water there, if those prove ok, then the issue is in the pipework, and if blowing back with mains pressure doesn't solve the issue, then I'm afraid it will be floors up time to trace the pipework.

Do you know what the pipework is made of, e.g. copper, steel, plastic?

You need a Plumber, the Guy you've found is either not a Plumber, doesnt want the work, or is looking to sell you an expensive fix a bit further down the line. Your daughter has a very simple, tried and tested system, of which there are countless fitted throughout the Land.

It is simply a process of elimination to find out what the issue is, as said, start with checking the cold storage cistern has water in in, and the outlet isn't blocked. If that appears ok, I'd be looking at the outlet from the cylinder, to see if there is water there, if those prove ok, then the issue is in the pipework, and if blowing back with mains pressure doesn't solve the issue, then I'm afraid it will be floors up time to trace the pipework.

Do you know what the pipework is made of, e.g. copper, steel, plastic?
Agreed, it seems unlikely there's a blockage so solid it can't be cleared by mains pressure or something, and even if there were, I can't see how that would produce the symptoms described.

I believe he has tried back flushing it. We don't have hard water in our area, luckily. Not sure what the pipework is but probably copper. Hopefully, he'll be able to sort it out. Whatever it is it seems to be after the junction with the downstairs loo. I guess he's looking there.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yes, sorry I should have elaborated. The how water comes on instantly, as normal in the downstairs bathroom.

Yes, tap appears to be fine - cold water flowing freely and the tap itself is smooth in operation. Just no hot water appears..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back