Hot water randomly doesn't work - diverter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been having this problem with my Baxi boiler on and off for a couple of months now - the central heating works fine but the hot water only randomly comes on.

You can see that the pilot's not always lighting and the hot tap will run stone cold. Sometimes you can coax it into life by running one of the other hot taps, two at once or sometimes you just try 5 minutes later and it works.

Can anyone help? I read another thread regarding a similar problem (on a baxi typically :rolleyes: ) and they said it might be the diverter.

(Oh, also should mention, with the CH off, we were also getting hot water into the rads when running hot water). Read someone saying the valve might just need a clean/oil - is this easy enough done?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps if you knew nothing about cars then you might think that a Ford totally identified someones car.

In the case of boilers, baxi is only a maker and they have perhaps made about 30-40 different models and I dont know which you have.

It is probably one of the hydraulically actuated diverter models about 10 years old.

If that is the case either the diverter valve or the DHW demand switch has failed.

Tony Glazier

Sorry Tony, it's an 80e - just added some more info re. the diverter.

OP, take it hot was is there when heating is running but none when heating off?

Sponsored Links
Hi DP - no, the hot water will (sometimes) work weather the heating is on or not.

Then, me thinks, site visit would pinpoint where the problem lies.

sounds more like a worn dhw diaphragm is the problem, although heat in the rads when calling for hot water is a problem with the divertor valve.

Thanks Picasso - might try replacing that then and also giving the diverter a clean/oil.

I found a diaphragm kit for the Baxi 80e - it mentions that there's two diaphragms for this and the kit is for the larger of the two. That sound ok?

Quick bump, just hoping someone could confirm if it'll be the larger of the 2 diaphragms?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back