Hot water starving heating... and Boiler Noises!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I called a plumber last week as I have the following problem:

Gloworm boiler
Hot water and heating fine when on separate. On together, no radiators got hot!

The plumber said that the hot water was starving the radiators, and adjusted something, which made the radiators get a little hot but not great.

He also made a slight leak at a nipple valve near the hot water cylinder!! But said it was already like it. Which it wasn't but I didn't argue and he sealed it.

Anyway, the boiler makes quite loud noises when it is on, which he didn't know what it could be, and didn't seem to bothered.

I paid him £85 and although the radiators heat up a little now, they are only about 20% satisfactory.

What else could be the fault, as about 2 months ago all was well so why is the hot water starving our radiators? and why the noises from the boiler? Any help much received here.......

Sponsored Links
Maybe a scaled up boiler heat exchanger/pipe or flow and return connections to the boiler a bit scaled up.

Maybe you have a gate valve (wheel head removed) on your primary return from the hot water cylinder, which hasn't been opened enough. It should be set about 1/2 way, so the hot water doesn't steel all the heated boiler water when the heating and hot water are both on together....

did he check the pump is working fully ?
maybe be loosing its will to live.

I don't think he did, but the heating and hot water are fine when on on their own. So I am guessing the pump is fine?

Sponsored Links
can be struggling to do them both.

whats the noises from the boiler ?
is it banging etc ?

Maybe, that is a good point, thanks for your help.

Is there anyway I can check myself if the pump is failing before I call the plumber back to change it? If it does need doing, what price should I be looking at approx? Thanks for helping.

BTW the noises are like loud banging noises, but the boiler seems to be working and heating up ok, just noisy!

banging can be a sign its not pulling the heat away from the boiler.

check the speed the pumps set to.

Ok thanks for all this info.

How can I check the pump myself to see if it is at fault? Any way to do this?

I think the pump is at a 2 setting so i believe the setting is not to slow.

Try the pump on 3. As seco says banging is usually lack of circulation.

Hi all again; thanks for all of your suggestions. My pump setting is already on 3 though :( so maybe I do have a faulty pump as suggested? Are there any signs to check or look for to prove this before I get it changed by a plumber? I hope this is definetley the fault and will cure the noises and lack of heat to our rads when both hot water and heating are on at the same time!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back