Hot water system stopped working.

Just got up to make the tea and discovered (I think) that what I thought was the MV for the HW is in fact one for the heating. So I have opened the valve on the correct HW valve and am getting heat on the top side of the pipe. If I leave the valve open on this MV until I can get a new Syncron which will probably be after Christmas am I doing any damage to anything or would it be better to switch the immersion back on while we have got a house full of family here ? It's quite interesting that the levers on the 2 MVs for the heating have gone "sloppy" because they have opened but the one for the HW hadn't but when I opened that one up manually I soon got hot water on the top side of the pipe. All heating and HW come on at the same time in the morning at 6.00 am.

Sponsored Links
No slackness on the lever when there's a demand does suggest the motor has failed but, you could also have a failed microswitch...

If it's the removable type, I'd change the power head if I were you.

Better to use the immersion for now as leaving valve manually open leaves the hot water with no stat to control dhw temp. Unless you can be diligent with manually opening/closing the valve.

Thank you Gentlemen. I think we'll have the immersion on for the few days until I can replace the Honeywell motor head for the valve. Will hopefully have time today to take the cover off and determine which motor I need. It's obviously 240V, are they all the same for 2 way valves or are there different types/models, etc.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if I've had some good luck or not. The following are 2 images of the existing MV. One is the motor (and no info. on there that is helpful ) and the other is the label on top of the box.

IMG_8242.JPG

IMG_8246.JPG

Then I found a new MV that I have in stock ! Will this replace the faulty one ?

IMG_8244.JPG

Thank you. I hope to be able to try it tomorrow as long as the Head Gardener allows me to switch the lecky off. It's Christmas time and she's cooking for the 5000 I think, at least it looks like that. She does it every year. :D I'm not 100% sure what switch/fuse controls the MV and so I'm going to switch everything off. Watch this space.

Make sure you isolate the power at the fused spur before attempting any work , do not just turn off at the controllers, each valve has a permanent live
You beat me to it - see above. Me & lecky don't get on very well. You can't see the damn stuff coming. Thank you for your concern. I appreciated that.

I just would like to say a huge thank you to all who have persevered with me over this problem and who have helped me tremendously. Today I installed the MV ( which I should now admit that I've had on the shelf since 2005 ! ) and the HW part of our system is now working as it should. May I wish a Happy Christmas to you and all your families and I hope that 2020 is a satisfying year for all of you. Thank you. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back