Hot Water Tank Emptied into Living Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was putting up a curtain pole this evening, when i drilled through what looked like a plastic 10mm water pipe. Hot water started to pour out for about 30 mins. I managed to turn the main water off and turned the boiler and the thermal water storage off. After it drained a plumber came round and fixed the hole.
Now i have turned the main water back on and the thermal storage sounds like its filling and nearly full, however the hot water taps seem to be full of air. Turn them on and water spits out.
Is there anything i can do to the taps? and do I need to do anything to the boiler system, I've tried bleeding the radiators and just water is coming out. When can i turn the boiler back on?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
For starters, wait until the system has filled up completely. Run the tap fully open for a couple of minutes, and see if the flow evens out.

Call the plumber back to finish the job! Lazy B ( the plumber that is!)

Ive turned the thermal storage off for tonight, sounded like it was full. I will turn the boiler on in the morning, I would do it all now but really want to sleep after tonights events.

Sponsored Links
Any competent plumber would be expected to do a proper job to repair the leak, check the system and ensure its working normally!

Yours seems to be rather lacking!

Did he exhibit all the normal characteristics of a professional? Did he have any importent bits missing?

His performance on the job seems to have been rather poor!

Was he a member of the Institute of Plumbing or was he just a cowboy?

Tony

Any competent plumber would be expected to do a proper job to repair the leak, check the system and ensure its working normally!

Yours seems to be rather lacking!

Did he exhibit all the normal characteristics of a professional? Did he have any importent bits missing?

His performance on the job seems to have been rather poor!

Was he a member of the Institute of Plumbing or was he just a cowboy?

Tony

Whatever will you come up with next Tony. 99.9% Drivel.

Maybe he was asked just to repair the leak to minimise the cost.

Given the time of that this was posted, isn't it possible that it all happened quite late this evening with an expensive hourly rate? We don't know of the op sent him on his way!

Also, he's (presumably) fixed it with a speedfit or compression, so what exactly it there for him to test other than whether it was dripping, which after a few minutes of running water in would have given him sufficient information to make a reasonable assessment.

Well all I can say is that I would always ensure that before I left everything was working correctly.

But then I dont charge exhorbitent call out rates!

Tony

When I get called out for fixing a leak on friday night after dinner time, I will do what I get paid for, and certainly will not spend another hour waiting for the tank to fill. Not unless they are willing to pay another hour at weekend rate.
Pretty soon the nation will turn the heating back on, which means nobody doing breakdowns will have time to do anything for free.

I did only ask the plumber to fix the leak, My normal plumber and boiler man is away in France, so he couldnt do it.
I turned the thermal storage back on this morning and it is now filled up and now have turned the boiler on, so far all seems well. The taps have been turned on and although at first spluttered they are now running smooth. Will i need to bleed the radiators? I did do this last night and just water came out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back