Hot Water Tank Leak In Attic - Very Strange Situation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a mega leak yesterday from the attic, it turned out to be the hot water storage tank. The problem has freaked me and the wife out because the person who got up to sort it (Amatuer plumber) said that the part with the ballcock and the part were the water comes out were facing the wrong way, instead of the part were the water flows from of pointing down it was angled at 90 degree angle and was spurting up out of the tank and flooding the attic.

The amateur plumber type person said it could only have been done by a person, Is there any other explanations for how this may have occured? I was assuming it was always facing that way but maybe it used to just trickle out rather than spurt and therefore stayed in the tank, or perhaps it faced that way but had a taplike adapter on it to make it face downwards that was some broken off. It appears that he was suggesting someone had been in our attic and did this for some reason.

Any one else shed any light on this, the wife is freaking out. Im for just locking the attic door.

Sponsored Links
have had instances were the spouts have come off due to vibrations or just brittle.

Cheers for the quick reply. The bloke said he looked in the tank and around the tank for any tap things that may have came off it but couldnt find anything. Im thinking it it can spurt and hit the roof it may have thrown it away from the tank. I will take a look later, he is coming back to fit a new ball cock etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back