Hot water tank thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My indirect coil cylinder, only has a thermostat at the bottom which is secured onto the cylinder but nothing wired on top. Firstly, am I correct in saying I have no electric immersion heater?

Secondly, is this thermostat okay being supplied from your normal electricity meter? Reason I ask, is I saw a video mentioning it comes from Economy 7 but this is the first I have ever heard of this. My only thought is if it is an immersion heater, then it comes from Economy 7.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Thermostat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 148
Guessing where this is immersion heater would be installed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 187
Sponsored Links
You dont appear to have an Immersion Heater, that is the blanking cap for the fitting of an Immersion.

Check your Consumer unit (Fuse box) to see if you have an Immersion Circuit, if so you should have a Neon fused Isolating switch in your airing cupboard .

Last edited:
1) You are correct, you have no immersion, the blanking nut up top is where it would normally be.

I assume you have central heating that warms the cylinder?

2) The cylinder thermostat would have nothing to do with an electrical immersion heater, that's for the central heating. The immersion would work from the mains itself and would normally have it's own thermostat.

An immersion heater would only be powered by economy 7, if you actual had an economy 7 package with your electrical supplier. If not it would be powered by normal rate electricity via a fused spur from the Consumer unit. If your hot water is heated by your central heating (CH) an immersion heater would only be there as a back up if the CH failed.

Heating hot water by electricity is probably the most expensive way to do it.

Thanks for all the replies. Was a bit confused when I saw the video which said the thermostat at the bottom should be Economy 7, but didn't think that would be the case.

I have central heating that warms the cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back