Hot Water Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey Guys,

first all im new here so hey 2 all!!

im here cause iv got an issue with my hot water tank. its got a slow leak where the heating pipe joins to the tank. the fitting that joins the the pipe and the tank, screws into the tank and it looks like a compression fitting at the pipe side. anyway, there us a slow leak at the tank side of the fitting.

now im having an issue opening the fitting and even if i could im not sure replacing the fitting will help. is there simple solution to this issue such a sealant or something that would be suitable to resolve this issue??

my mate told me that lsx jointing compound would do the trick but from what i know of it u really use that inside the fitting to seal the joint???

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks!!

Sponsored Links
It's unusual for a fitting joint to spontaneously start leaking on an old cylinder, so you might be facing a cylinder replacement :(

However, if the fitting joint is leaking, you'll need to remake the joint. To do this you need to drain the heating system (at least at the first floor level); no need to drain the entire cylinder though.

try to determin if the fitting on the coil is leaking or is it leaking out of the cylinder cos the fibre washer on the coil has failed . do u kown how to drain a cylinder to see if the leak stops.

thanks 4 the reply guys, appreciate it.

try to determin if the fitting on the coil is leaking or is it leaking out of the cylinder cos the fibre washer on the coil has failed . do u kown how to drain a cylinder to see if the leak stops.
i can drain my cylinder, iv done that b4 and the leak dd stop. does that help? how do i determine between the two bab??

if the fitting joint is leaking, you'll need to remake the joint
im hopin i dnt need 2 replace the whole tank :confused: how do u mean remake a joint. do u mean take the old one out and replace it?

once again guys, serioously, thanks 4 the help. really dd appreciate ur comments

Sponsored Links
OK - if you've previously drained it then we should be able to work out what the cause is.

A photo would be nice, but isn't essential. How many pipes connect to the cylinder, and where do they connect?

I go to a lot a leaking cylinders leaking down the side of cyl cos the manufactures fibre washer on the inside of the cyl is perrished . the back nut is usually tight & needs tightening before it willback off. some times even a bita heat needed,this is when the cyl is drained. if you hav a cylinder union to 22mm copper u should hav room to back up the back nut & remake a seal without draining the heating but if u hav 28 mm gravity pipe then the female iron fitting will take up all the thread & then that has to come off that means droping the heating below that level. does any of that make any sense, is the leak on the side of the cylinder where the heating pipes r attacthed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back