A case for Boss White on every compression joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so some of you swear by Hawk Blue/Boss White and some by PTFE tape.

Anyone prepared to say exactly why PTFE is so bad when used like this, apart from the fact that some DIYers often use it in inppropriate situations too?

I'm keeping an open mind, but I've not had any probs with tape myself.

Sponsored Links
Well the point is; if you are crawling around an attic & seeing the tell-tail signs of PTFE DaftyDIY'er/cowboy compression joints, then you can take care when touching any pipework or you'll have a flood on your hands!!! I guess it's a case of observation in an area of limited access & light.

But hey don't get me wrong, the Kuterlite fittings(see first post) were installed by Real Plumbers, again, I guess they were told they don't need Boss White(generic name) by some Sales Rep or some other idiot!!
Always use Boss White on you compression joints!!

More prejudice.

you can touch my joints without getting a flood.

More prejudice.

you can touch my joints without getting a flood.
I wouldn't touch your joints or any other part of you!!

It's not for the first time I've come across 'dry' compression joints leaking in the way I discribe - even had it with Conex Type A fittings!!

Written without prejudice to PTFE tape............... :LOL: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Dick is spot on. Whenever I go near plumbing that has half a reel of PTFE tape bulging out from under each compression nut, I know that a DIYer, bodger, cowboy has been there before me. I'm on my guard.

Whether it's BW or Jet Blue, jointing compound is right for olives.

So, that's one DIYer in favour of PTFE
and
Most plumbers for joint. comp.

Not looking good for the bodger's white tape. :rolleyes:

PTFE is annoying.

Loctite 55 for threads, i.e rad valves etc.

Boss Universal for compression fittings.

Kuterlite are good fittings & they were tight, but the 70s muppet didn't use any Boss White on the compression joints, so move a pipe & it leaks!!

Always use Boss White on compression joints!!

Why? The joints lasted 40 years and would have lasted 40 more if some muppet hadn't cracked them. Pipes move regulalry with expansion and contraction and don't start leaking.

Neither PTFE, Boss White nor Jet Blue are needed.

I used to agree with that, unfortunately the quality of olives turning up with fittings is really poor these days and they often seem excessively hard. I used to try and change them to quality copper ones, but got fed up with forking out on endless supplies of copper olives. tiny smother of jetblue now, or sometimes silicon grease

Kuterlite are good fittings & they were tight, but the 70s muppet didn't use any Boss White on the compression joints, so move a pipe & it leaks!!

Always use Boss White on compression joints!!

Why? The joints lasted 40 years and would have lasted 40 more if some muppet hadn't cracked them. Pipes move regulalry with expansion and contraction and don't start leaking.

Another pearl of wisdom from a DIY'er!!!

Said the muppet who caused the leaks.

The facts are unchanged. The joints had lasted 40 odd years and only leaked after tampering; the use of jointing compound does not comply with the manufacturer's installation instructions.

The pipes are continuously moving by some small amount due to expansion & contraction. If you use PTFE or a non-setting jointing paste, both will act as lubricants. A lubricant will increase the movement at the joints and reduce the movement, by bending, of the pipes. Over time the lubricant/sealant will be expelled from the joint and the joint will start to leak.

I'd suspect that compression joints made with sealants would not last as long as those made without.

PS I hadn't noticed your signature block, Dick.
You've had enough internet biatch slappings from me to know that I'm not a DIYer, e.g., MDPE gas permeability, definition of a fluid, pneumatic testing, etc., etc.. I've come across competent DIYers and lots more incompetent 'professionals'.

I used to agree with that, unfortunately the quality of olives turning up with fittings is really poor these days and they often seem excessively hard. I used to try and change them to quality copper ones, but got fed up with forking out on endless supplies of copper olives. tiny smother of jetblue now, or sometimes silicon grease

Agreed; I've chucked lots of hard brass olives, but I haven't noticed any change in the quality of good copper ones. I still don't think you need sealants with a decent new olive.

Said the muppet who caused the leaks.

The facts are unchanged. The joints had lasted 40 odd years and only leaked after tampering; the use of jointing compound does not comply with the manufacturer's installation instructions.

The pipes are continuously moving by some small amount due to expansion & contraction. If you use PTFE or a non-setting jointing paste, both will act as lubricants. A lubricant will increase the movement at the joints and reduce the movement, by bending, of the pipes. Over time the lubricant/sealant will be expelled from the joint and the joint will start to leak.

I'd suspect that compression joints made with sealants would not last as long as those made without.

PS I hadn't noticed your signature block, Dick.
You've had enough internet biatch slappings from me to know that I'm not a DIYer, e.g., MDPE gas permeability, definition of a fluid, pneumatic testing, etc., etc.. I've come across competent DIYers and lots more incompetent 'professionals'.

Sorry mate I don't have a clue what you're on about & I don't know you from Adam, but keep up the DIY.

You clearly have little or no knowledge of Plumbing or Mechanical Services - with the above statements, but thanks for your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back