A case for Boss White on every compression joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Boss White is tried & tested mate, works every time! Are you a DIY'er JohnD??

hahahaha

you're pretending you've never seen a leaking joint with compound in it.

read my previous.

Sponsored Links
this is a DIY site

PTFE on a DIY olive will seal it better than leaving it bare and better than boss white.

you're just stuck in the past.

Blue overalls, cloth cap, boss white, hank of hemp...

Oh I know it's a DIY site JohnD, but surely a DIY'er is going to have a limted experence of Plumbing, we you consider a Pro who's been in the trade 40 years?.........No? Perhaps it's me that's wrong then?

Stuck in the past, no, I don't think so. Granted Plumbers can be very conservative, but I like to think my company enbraces all new products & developments.

this is a DIY site

PTFE on a DIY olive will seal it better than leaving it bare and better than boss white.

you're just stuck in the past.

Blue overalls, cloth cap, boss white, hank of hemp...

ha stuck in what past? im half your age. I dont even keep ptfe tape on the van, it has no use whatsover, as far as im concerned its ptfe thats old hat. Get with the times John, Jet blue has ptfe as an ingredient, there's a little insight for you. from a professional.

PTFE on an olive gives a very good seal.

Is anyone going to pretend it doesn't?

PTFE on an olive gives a very good seal.

Is anyone going to pretend it doesn't?

yes it works, but its unessesary and unprofessional. Its not the best way as you were trying to make out, its a get out if anything. As DT has said if the olive has already been mullered, but personally I'd cut the pipe back and do it properly if time/money constraints allowed.
As professionals when we see ptfe, we wonder what over wonders we'll uncover.
I can't comment on boss white cos ive never used the stuff tbh.

Boss White is tried & tested mate, works every time!

Just the small issue of Boss White not being WRAS approved to contend with then Puller...

Having said that, I'm with mickyg on this one, I don't use PTFE for anything either, Jet Blue all the way...

Boss White is tried & tested mate, works every time!

Just the small issue of Boss White not being WRAS approved to contend with then Puller...

Having said that, I'm with mickyg on this one, I don't use PTFE for anything either, Jet Blue all the way...

Of course I'm using 'Boss White' as a generic Trade name, just like our Polish Cleaner gets the 'Hoover' out to clean the carpet in the Great Hall in the West Wing of Puller Towers - when in fact she uses a Dyson.
I too am a great fan of Jet Blue. It's dead easy to nick it from the Trade counter of Plumb Center, when you send the spotty young counter rat through the back for something obscure.............. :LOL: :LOL:

..................The cowboys and DaftyDIY'er use PTFE on compression joints. The Pro use Jet Blue.

I use a product that works. It is also clean, inexpensive, easy to use, readily available. I'd be a fool not to, just out of some stupid prejudice.

I use a product that works. It is also clean, inexpensive, easy to use, readily available. I'd be a fool not to, just out of some stupid prejudice.

yes great, good for you, but its not the best way of doing things as you said at the beginning.

Aye - boss white is no more than diluted glazier`s putty - that`s what I used , cuz Dad was a decorator/glazier - and if I ran out of hemp I`d nip out onto forest and rip up a bit of bracken - only time I used gloves - then I`d string out the fibres from the stalks :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back