Hot water tap not firing/igniting boiler (central heating still works)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this issue has been covered. I searched but couldn't find anything specific.

I've got a Sime Format 80c Combi boiler, not sure when installed (previous owner) but at least 4/5 years old, that's developed a strange fault in the past couple of weeks.

Whenever I switch any of my hot water taps/shower on, the boiler isn't igniting (or firing), and I have to manually go up to the boiler and ignite it; you can hear it almost 'sucking' for the gas, after it's ignited it works fine. If the central heating is on (from the thermostat), the hot water works fine, but it's only when it's not on that I have this issue.

In terms of dials and errors, it's got a bi-colour orange LED on the panel, which suggests it's a C.H. sensor fault (or even low presure). The pressure dial holds at 0 or about 0.75 BAR. THe manual/user instructuctions doesn't give anything specific in terms of how to fix it or top up the pressure (if this is even the fault), other than to contact a service engineer.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be? I'm just off the phone to SIME support and the contact there suggested it's needing a new 'domestic water diaphram' and doesn't think it's anything to do with the water pressure.

Thanks,
Michael

Edit: I've not touched anything in the boiler (aside from the timer) since I've had it. It sits in a cupboard so it's (unlikely but) possible I may have knocked one of the valves (I keep my hoover etc there) recently, but I never had to turn it back if I did, so not sure if that may be it)

Sponsored Links
Probably does need a new diaphragm but pressure does need topping up before you lose all heating and hot water. Do you have a braided hose on the pipework beneath the boiler?

Thanks, there are a couple of valves and hoses underneath it (not at home just not to confirm), do you know the (approx!) steps for this, and how I can check/adjust?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back