hot water tap slow when boiler on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I seem to have a rather strange problem with 1 of my taps. The kitchen hot water tap runs perfectly fine if the boiler is turned off (gas boiler) so cold water flows through the tap, as do all other taps in my property. However, if I turn the boiler on for hot water the kitchen hot water tap pretty much slows down to just drips and the boiler loses its flames (sparker stays light how ever). All other hot taps work perfectly fine and dont shut the boiler off. Does any one have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Boiler is a Main multipoint BF

Thanks in advance

Martyn

Sponsored Links
Tap is not turning fully on. When it gets hot, expansion of components shuts the tap off so on cold (boiler off) it continues to run at full speed. Dismantle, clean & grease tap inners.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for The advice. I went to change the washer only to find the brass steam is seized tight and unble to shift open. Even with pipe wrench and wd40. If anyone has a suggestion to getting it out before I buy a new tap that would be much appreciated :)

Before you took the tap apart, you were able to turn it on & off. You therefore had movement of the shaft & internals although it was restricted movement.
Hold the body of the inners by the hexagon & turn the tap on & off (pliers or something) and gradually increase the movement. Basically, when you turn the tap fully off, the part with the washer on will fully descend out of the body. Then you can clean & grease all the bits & re-assemble.
If you think it is now totally seized I suspect that you are turning it the wrong way, you are aiming to turn the tap off.
You will find some detail here:
http://www.plumbteamltd.co.uk/tap.html
Or you could try these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/swirl-bathroom-basin-contract-tap-reviver-kit/12204
Ignore that it says basin, kitchen & basin taps are both 1/2". They will fit in over 90 % of cases.

I managed to get it undone using a pipe on the tap for more leverage and a mallet to un-jimmy it. Washers are completely fine and not split. Re-greased and cleaned up the tap. Even took the black filter off the end of the tap. problem is still occurring however.

With the tap dismantled put a towel round the base and let the hot flow through it... See if flow is normal - may also flush some debris out!

Did you strip the inners like this:
tap7.jpg

Is there a flexible tap connector under the sink, could it be kink and run fine when cold but goes soft, with the kink, will restrict the flow of hot water. If there is, make sure it is straight.

Daniel.

Is there a non return valve or thermostatic mixer fitted to the hot tap supply?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back