Hot water temp guage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not even sure if this is a thing so sorry if a waste of time!

I have viridian solar thermal which works pretty well and gives me hot water most of the year, but over winter can be a bit hit & miss dependent on the skies.

While I can set the temp the solar will heat to, and I can obv. do that on the boiler too, to get max savings I only like to put the boiler on manually when I need to - but its hard to know how much hot water we have sometimes - and if I set a timer on the boiler, am I giving it enough time (i.e. 2 hours a night) or not to top up the water temp - I'd love to have something that could show me the temp of the water in the tank - either wirelessly, or going to the tank is not an issue as its in a cupboard at the top of the stairs.

Viridian did offer a controller that showed the hot water temp but have sadly stopped selling it when I enquired and I'm wondering if there are other options?

Tried googling but my google skills are not great when I don't know much about the subject.

Sponsored Links
Depending on the type of hot water cylinder that you have, you could possibly attach a strap on thermostat with a digital display. ESI make one, and it's less than £15 from here.

Alternatively, a simple, cheap, strap on thermostat could be wired to an indicator light so show when a certain temperature was reached. OK, it wouldn't give you a physical temperature reading, but you would get an indication that a temperature had been exceeded. If you needed to be more accurate, you could fit two thermostats with a 10 degree difference between them that would narrow it down a bit further.

Thanks for the advice. A general indication of temperature will be fine so I'll give those a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back