Hot water to basinsuddenly stopped working-not the tap?help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pressured heating/hot water system with a OSO unvented water heater in the garage and a glow worm ultracom Cxi.

Everythings been workng fine then one day the hot tap in the upstairs basin stopped working at all, not even a trickle.

Assumed it was the tap but have checked the supplying pipe and it has no water flowing into the tap itself so the issue is elsewhere.

Monobloc bath tap, Shower mixer and the rest of the house all still fine, its most odd, and annoying!

Also seems to be a drip from the discharge pipe on the boiler, not sure if this is connected to the problem. Help!

Any suggestions on how to proceed? :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
If all other taps are working and no one has turned off an isolation valve leading to the tap, then the problem is the tap.

Andy

If all other taps are working and no one has turned off an isolation valve leading to the tap, then the problem is the tap.

Andy

Thanks Andy but its not the tap, I dismantled the tap only to find when I turned the inline isolation valve on with the cartridge removed, there was no water coming from the hot supply pipe (cold was fine).

I worked down the hot supply pipe under the basin, removed the isolation valve in case this was faulty, still no water coming through?? I have checked all the isolation taps in the garage from the supply and they are all on.

Any other ideas, its very annoying!

I can't see it being anything else, as the hot supply must also supply some of the other taps.

Post some pictures of the pipework behind the basin and isolation valve.

Andy

Sponsored Links
I can't see it being anything else, as the hot supply must also supply some of the other taps.

Post some pictures of the pipework behind the basin and isolation valve.

Andy

Thanks Andy, will see if I can get a pic TBH I have stripped the supply pipe to the basin back to leave just 6 inches of plastic pipe sticking out of the floor and there was no water flowing from the pipe anymore.

Agree it must supply the bath and shower too which is why its baffling me a bit as to why the water is not coming down this pipe anymore...the system is a couple of years old so its not new or anything.

I thought maybe an air block? Can you get these on combis?

What else could it be?

It won't be an air lock on a pressurised system....either there is a foreign body in there or an isolator valve isn't opening when you think it is.
Unless the system has been interfered with recently, thats unlikely.
John :)

It won't be an air lock on a pressurised system....either there is a foreign body in there or an isolator valve isn't opening when you think it is.
Unless the system has been interfered with recently, thats unlikely.
John :)

Thanks guys, I had considered debris but was hoping not...the pipes go into the Garage ceiling and into a enclosed crawl wall space that is tiled over in the bathroom where I am assuming there is a junction splitting the flow to bath, shower and basin. The basin pipe goes under the tiled floor, don't really want to dig it up....

Is there such a thing as a long flexible rod/wire that would fit down a 15mm pipe?

Is debris the last option, any other thoughts?

Connect your garden hose to bath/basin tap and turn on (with bath/basin tap open)

What you are doing is forcing mains pressure water up the pipework, hopefully cleaning any debris.

Andy

Connect your garden hose to bath/basin tap and turn on (with bath/basin tap open)

What you are doing is forcing mains pressure water up the pipework, hopefully cleaning any debris.

Andy

Thanks Andy, interesting idea, do you mean attach one end to the bath tap and one end to the basin tap? they are waterfall taps so couldn't do that.... but could connect the cold water supply pipe to the basin to the hot water tap supply pipe with a hose and turn on the valve, will that have enough pressure?

Or do you mean from the garden tap?

MAL99: just to clarify, you have a hot and a cold tap on the basin, not a mixer tap?

No its a mixer - monobloc waterfall with cartridge. so when I took top off and took out cartridge out, then turn supply pipe on, (one at a time) I could tell issue was the supply of water not the tap.

I was thinking I could just disconnect the two supply pipes from the tap and connect them together with another pipe - and turn on the cold water supply pipe with the inline valve to see if this will blow out any debris but not sure if it will enough pressure?

OK - I guess the bathroom is fairly new. Unless you installed it, and can answer, are you sure there is not a separate isolation valve under the floor?

And you have had hot water from it before? Not just water, as some mixer taps let by from hot/cold side dependant on taps valve.

OK - I guess the bathroom is fairly new. Unless you installed it, and can answer, are you sure there is not a separate isolation valve under the floor?

And you have had hot water from it before? Not just water, as some mixer taps let by from hot/cold side dependant on taps valve.

Its fairly new, couple of years old, had hot and cold fine till it suddenly stopped. yes you select by side to side, I didnt install it but there are isolation valves on the separate supply pipes behind the basin.

Hi

You would seem to have blockage from where the basin tap t 's off the hot.
It 's hard to think of much that could get through the OSO and in to the hot pipe to do this, so maybe another tap as lost the washer fixing nut and it as found it way there . Long shot!!!
Cinked or flatened pipe?
Any check valves that you can see?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back