Hot water to new shower and basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to install a shower and hand basin on the first floor of a detached garage. First thoughts included an electrically heated shower and an electric hot water heater over the basin. However I have sufficient head room to mount a small HW cylinder with an emersion heater. How would I deal with the necessary expansion pipe work etc from the cylinder if I pursue this type of solution?

Sponsored Links
1.gif

Sponsored Links
I'm going to build a new house Kev, how do I do it ?

Makes you wonder sometimes !

My M8 lives in Haslemere,a plumber.....but I can`t say where :) I`ll be removed for someting.

OK OK OK slugbaby, bathjobby & nigelF, I thought it was a reasonable question and kevplumb’s diagram was very helpful. Let me try again. Hot water to a shower and hand basin where there is a mains water supply and electric power only. Above the area were the fittings are, mount an 80 litre direct cylinder with an emersion heater. Fill the cylinder via an open top say 40 Litre plastic tank with ball valve fed from the main and mounted slightly higher than the top of the cylinder. Extend the HW pipe on top of the cylinder up so that expansion takes place over the top up tank. Feed shower and basin with hot water in the normal way.
If this is a dumb idea please tell me why.

Will you have 3ft head of water between the bottom of the tank and the shower rose if not the shower wont work without a pump for a start . Even with a pump check the instructions.
Open top tanks are generally speaking out since byelaw 30 came in.

I would be sticking with the leccy shower idea that way you only heat up water that you need.

Theres issues with freezing if where you plan to put this is unheated/ uninsulated space

Slugbabydotcom said:
Will you have 3ft head of water between the bottom of the tank and the shower rose if not the shower wont work without a pump for a start . Even with a pump check the instructions.
Open top tanks are generally speaking out since byelaw 30 came in.

I would be sticking with the leccy shower idea that way you only heat up water that you need.

Theres issues with freezing if where you plan to put this is unheated/ uninsulated space

Thank you very much. Can't get the 3ft, didn't know about regs on open tank and forgot about freezing. Taking your advice and going for electric shower and small heater for basin both fed from main water.

Is it possible for you to recomend a 9 to 10 Kw shower and suitable heater for basin.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back