Hot water to taps issue...new tank required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, In our spit level flat the hot water to the downstairs kitchen sink has pretty nearly ceased running out of the taps. The upstairs sink is and has always been slow but that I put down to the lack of 'head height' from the hot water (vented) tank. Someone suggested the outlet fromthe tank could be firred up with limescale? Does that make sense or could there be another common explanation? (The shower has a power pump that i put in so no isues there) Thank you for any ideas!

Sponsored Links
If the kitchen taps have isolation valves fitted to the supply pipes then turn them off, disconnect the pipe on the out going side, open the valves and see what water comes out.

Yes I believe flexi hoses..I did all the work some years back...I am not at the flat so cannot check but think so. However hot tap slow at both upstairs sink and downstairs kitchen sink.I know that my son (he lives there but is in USA currently) put a new kitchen tap on but it worked fine. Are you thinking flexi pipe could be bent perhaps?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I will check but given it was only fitted about 6 months back unlikely I think

You’ve got an airlock more than likely. Best way if you still have an hot water washing machine supply valve ( probably not connected ) connect the hot and cold taps together either buy another hose or disconnect from machine. Turn them both on for about ten seconds tops.should be sorted after that.

nathan

Hi Nathan
Pretty certain the washine machine only has cold supply and water heats up in machine.

No, I am pretty sure not so. A video I just saw said if you take off top of mixer taps in kitchen and hold a towel over the exposed outlets and switch on taps it could work? I am not at property at the moment so cannt be sure re hot pipe but pretty dsure not so.

Yeah same concept. However use the palm of your hand not a towel has you are trying to create a seal which a towel won’t do.

At the flat now but cannot separate the kitchen tap.....maybe I can disconnect cold and hot supplies at the inline safety valves and then connect the cold supply to the hot and switch the cold on to push the air back. However need to get the right fixings...will check if i have. Also female to female flexi pipe to connect the two...did ring a plumber whose van I saw last night...no response. Then saw another and his last review said he charged an old lady £110 to clean some leaves that took him 10 mins. So I will keep trying to sort it!

Eureka! Fixed dishwasher supply cold pipe to old hot connector....there wasn't one for the washing machine but there was for the dishwasher. Many thanks Bellairaphon....over the moon. I owe you a pint of best Yorkshire!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back