Hotpoint 9901 washing machine won't do fast spin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old 9901 washer drier, we never use the drier, just recently the machine stopped doing the final fast 1000rpm spin, it does spin but very slowly until the end of the cycle.

This just happened suddenly, the drain pump works fine and drains all the water perfectly.

Any pointers, pls.

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Thanks Breezer, I will check them out, does it mean that old brushes cannot pass the high current required for fast spin and the motor simply runs slowly instead of not running at all.

I will give it a check and report back.

Thanks
Mike

sort of, they natuarally get shorter and shorter, so making poor contact.

if they are worn get proper laminated brushes as they will last longer cost £12.00 pair. (and do realease the catch first, drawing on the bag)

good luck in getting them out, we had a tool to do it, it was L shape with a smaller L so each L grabbed one side of the brush, then pull.

But do unplug m/c first

Sponsored Links
I removed the old brushes which appeared to be still quite long but decided to replace them with new ones.

Tried the Spin setting and still the same problem, no fast spin!

Puzzled as to what might cause this behaviour considering the Timer switch is also new replaced 8 months ago.

Could it be some kind of sensor that is not activating the fast spin?

Please help.

Thanks

From seeing similar posts and replies it may be one of two things, first, there is a sensor that checks the amount of water in the drum (pressure switch). If this becomes blocked or stops working the machine will think it hasn't drained and won't go into the spin. The other one is due to a failure of the speed sense mechanism on the motor. Don't know much more than that - sorry. It's rarely the timer mechanism.

it is possible it is the pressure switch, but more than likely the pressure chamber the pressure switch is connected to (sits on RHS bottom of outer drum

it could also be the motor driver board

if not pressure chamber, time to get new m/c

Thank you all for your advice, I opened the rear cover and had a good look around, first removed the motor control power board, just was looking for the obvious burnt components, everything looked fine.

Re-inserted it and plugged the connector back, there was one 3 wired Green and Red connectors which fed the 6 pin connector on the motor.

Tried the spin cycle, still no fast spin just slowly with the water extraction pump running.

I even disconnect the cables on the Rinse hold switch but still no Fast Spin.

Looked underneath the drum with a torch to look for that sensor but could not trace it, all I could find under the drum was a T shaped rubber pipe fitted to the bottom of the drum with a side outlet going to the water pump and the end is capped with a big clip. Couldn't find any wires for the sensor either.

Any ideas where specifically that sensor is mounted. Breezer you mentioned it sits on the RHS bottom of the outer drum? I checked but could not see it from the rear and underneath the drum. The only wiring I saw was the switch/pipe connected to the door release latch.

The motor appears to be okay as it is able to turn the drum with a full load, I checked armature coils and it was all okay no burnt windings.

Is there a control circuitry inside the motor that controls the fast RPM?

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

you are looking for the wrong thing.

the pressure chamber is either bannana shaped or small cylindrical (depend on if it has been changed) it is on the front right hand side edge about 2 inches in at the bottom (looking from front of m/c)

it also has a pipe that connects to the door interlock

the motor itself has no "electronics" it has 6 wires, four for the coils and two for the tacho, if tacho is broken motor will spin fast , so it cant be that

Yes, there is that circular unit with 6 wires which is mounted on to top edge right hand side, this unit has a tube that is connecting to what looks like the door lock and some wires.

I had a look at this unit and saw that there were 4 small trimmers of which 2 looked like had been turned/adjusted before due to screw driver marks.

So any pointers left that I should check?

Thanks.

right thing, wrong end, follow the pipe down, the bit you are looking at is the pressure switch DONT ADJUST IT, follow the pipe down past the door release, it goes to the pressure chamber which is on the outer drum, front right hand side, pressure switch is mounted on the cabinet middle top

Thanks Breezer, I now know what I am looking for, going to open the machine again and find this switch, is there anything I can do with the switch after I get to it like cleaning etc.

Something else I remembered that just before this problem started one afternoon suddenly water leaked out from somewhere in the middle front underneath the washer while it was empty with the door left open. At first I thought there was leak in the plumbing but when I pulled the washer out all was fine.

Could there be some kind of blockage also.

I will take a look and report back with my findings.

its NOT a switch, its just a plastic "thing" that is connected to the side of the outer tub, it has no wires, only a tube

sorry for poor quality, it gives you an idea, i also left out 90% of other vital components
tub1.jpg

I had what seemed to be similar problem on a WM13.
Replacing the motor fixed it; however it now sticks between wash and rinse on the main wash program, but works on all the others.

I had the timer checked, but then returned NFF so I'm going to try looking at this sensor to see if that's the problem.

HTH
H.

its NOT a sensor, just a palstic chamber. as the tub fills with water the air pressure goes up, this in turn locks the door, and also operates the pressure switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back