Hotpoint 9901 washing machine won't do fast spin

Many thanks Breezer for taking the trouble of drawing the diagram. I managed to get to the tube connection on the drum by opening the front cover and rubber.

I disconnected the tube and blowed into the tube and it is clear no blockage. Although wasn't sure what to look for in the chamber (or whether to remove it) as it made of rubber and attached to the drum.

I then blowed thru the other end of the tube connected to the pressure switch which when I blew in I could hear the ticking noise coming from the pressure switch. This probably suggests the swicth is fine.

I then removed the lower drum filter rubber pipe and there was a lot of rubbish hair pins, coins and broken plastic bits and also water, I cleaned it out.

Refitted everything and tried the spin cycle but still no fast spin. One thing i would like to ask is whether I should fill the drum with water before checking whether the fast spin works or not as after doing these final checks I did not fill it with water.

What I then noticed was that the PCB board fixed to the lower bank of switches (Gentle and Heavy Soil buttons) had come off and has cracked hence not making the necessary connections to the timer switch. This fault be connected with this?

I have to solder the broken tracks, but I am not sure whether these buttons control the final fast spin cycle?

Which now leaves the motor, although the motor is working perfectly.

Running out of options!

Sponsored Links
MikeG - When looking at my own motor brushes (approx 60% worn, but still usable) then testing it with a multimeter across the relevant terminals, it seemed to be ok, i.e all resistances as they should be + no shorting. Not having access to a PAT tester, a new motor was the easiest next step, though seemingly expensive (about £60 - no VAT).

Symptoms were just as you describe - all through the cycle, the drum only rotated at what I would describe as a walking pace, without speeding up on the spin. Admittedly, I never noticed whether the drum rotated in both directions with the old (broken) motor e.g. in wash, whereas this did happen with the new motor (correctly), even before it got to the spin.

HTH
H.

its a long time since i worked on a w/m (apart from my own) i do not have access to the manuals i used to have (had to give them back) so i can not say for sure but if you do resolder the connections it would be a good idea.

The "programmer" of a w/m is really the bit that does most of the "thinking" it will stop, waiting for information from other components (rinse hold being another) so if you have broken tracks it is a good idea to fix them

Hi Henry,

Yes the motor does rotate in both direction very slowly, I remember this was how it rinsed the water first before speeding up and in the last 2 mins of the cycle it speeded even faster before stopping completely.

I haven't checked the resistance of the motor coils but will do so, I wasn't sure how the 6 wires control the speed considering it is a AC motor. I can get the just the Armature only for the motor for about £25. (Will have to decided whether to try that option after I repair the PCB tracks.

I will repair the PCB tracks and refit the board back to the switch bank and report back.

I still would like to know whether it makes a difference when testing the spin cycle, should the water be filled, if I remember in the past it used to work with or without but not too sure.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
a m/c will not spin if there is water in it, it will go into the spin cycle, pump water out , then spin

I did solder the PCB tracks and refitted the board to the switch bank and this time loaded the machine with a fully load of wash but still the SPIN did not happen.

I have checked that there is no water left in the drum, all the water does get drained during the cycle and the water pump motor is continuosly heard running.

Thank Henry, I will test the continuity of the motor windings etc, one thing I didn't get is what is a TOC?

I am an electronics/electrical engineer but excuse me for my ignorance.

toc is the "tacograph" (small brass looking dial on the end of the motor) I must admit i did not know what the readings should be, if i was still working for hp, i would have gone to the van and put a motor on it if all other things ok

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back