Hotpoint CTD00 Condenser Dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The drum on my dryer stopped going around last week so identified the problem that the belt had snapped. Replaced this with some difficulty but the dryer was working again. However beforehand it had made one hell of a racket. When i took the dryer apart i removed alot of settled dust.
After putting it all back together i noticed the motor at the rear was actually rubbing against the metal back of the dryer, therfore not driving the drum as it should and also making a noise. I managed to fix this by slightly knocking in the back. (If pressed the back panel the motor would run fine).. This worked for a few days and the dryer was working fine and very quiet. Its gradually got a bt louder again but has now decided to stop itself mid cycle. I started it before a couple of times and after a minute, stopped again. As it was also running i moved the dryer back slightly and it stopped. I also leaned on the top with my hand and this made it stop. Have i possibly loosened a connection? or does it sound like something else.

Love to get a new one money permitting but with holiday to come etc etc

Sponsored Links
when the machine was apart did you check the bearing pads and rear bearing. when they wear the machine can be noisy and the drum can get stuck. (snapping the belt)

is the belt on the motor properly (not sure if this model has guide rollers)

Thanks. No i didnt check. How do i locate these and see if they are warn etc.

Thanks again

Edit: Upon looking for more info ive realised (i think) that one of these pads has come off as im now holding it in my hand. Didnt know what it was so put it to one side when fitting the new belt.

Its one of these http://www.4hotpoint.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=973830&brand=&model=bearings&part=

How can i find where it goes on dryer?

thats a front bearing pad, they clip on the inside edge of the front panel where the drum rubs. (one end in a hole then rotate 90 degrees and the other end slips in a slot)

When you get a replacement bearing and seal kit for these machines they now give you a large washer this has to go over the drum spindle before it is fed through the back plate/bearing of the machine.

The rear bearing is either a small square block that the spindle sits in or a teardrop shaped one. the drum spindle wears a groove through this and can eventually cut through the back of the machine. there should not be any movement of the spindle in the bearing at the back (some bearings do move a little however in their supports)

Sponsored Links
Located where they go now and upon closer inspection i also have another one that has snapped and has been dislodged from it normal place. So two front bearings missing.

Can this actually stop the dryer from working. Hence the working for a couple of days, then only working for a minute or so before it stops.

The reason i ask is i have bought the bearing kit with next day delivery. Just hoping this works as if its something else also i will have wasted £40 for nothing and with 2 kids in the house, that equals a lot of drying in this rain soaked place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back