HOTPOINT DISHWASHER DF53 TRIPS ELECTRICS AFTER MOVING HOUSE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just moved house and brought my dishwasher with me. I did a load in it before I moved into my new home. Now when I plug it in it keeps tripping the electric. When it was moved it was very secure and I know no damage has been caused to the machine. I have tried the reset button which did not help,I have checked all the wiring and everything seems fine with good connections and no shorts. It is plugged into the same supply as the washing machine so the amps (30A) should be ample, and when I unplug everything else it still does it!

Do you have to bleed/prime these machines before using them again? Can anyone please give me some advice as to why its doing it, I dont want to have to buy a new one as it was working fine in the other house.

Any help would be greatly received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi
There may have been some ingress of water into the machine's electrical system when it was being moved.
You say you have checked the wiring in the dishwasher and there are no shorts. Is this visually or did you use a digital multi-meter? Is all the power going off in your house because it is blowing the RCD on your consumer unit or just the ring main circuit breaker? If the RCD is blowing then there is leakage between line and earth or neutral and earth caused by moisture. You could try and see if the appliance will dry out.
If it's just blowing the ring main breaker then there maybe a fault in the appliance, ie capacitor gone short circuit.
Regards

Hi,Thanks for your reply.
It is tripping all the plug sockets in the house. The lights still work tho?

I have left the machine for quite a few days thinking it may be water somewhere but it still does it. Thinking of just binning it now lol
Dont know where to start by using a multi meter

the thing that trips

does it say "B32" on it?

Or does it say "0.003A" or "30mA" "Test Monthly" and have a test button?

Sponsored Links
The thing that trips says RCCB Split Load and also says 63A and 30ma
There is no test button
Hope this helps
Thanks

A Residual Current Circuit Breaker (RCCB) is also known a Residual Current Device (RCD).
Were the electrics in your old house covered by a RCD?

If not, the RCD may be reacting to a latent fault that may well have gone undetected in your previous house if the electrics were protected by MCBs or fuses only.

It takes a large fault current to trip a MCB or blow a fuse, but a RCD trips if a relatively small amount of current leaks to earth.

The thing that trips says RCCB Split Load and also says 63A and 30ma
There is no test button

I bet you 50p there is. post a pic of it.

If it says 63A and 30mA then it will be an RCD which trips when there is an electrical fault to earth.

Most likely it is the heating element breaking down with age, but it could be damage to the flex, incorrectly wired plug, water on electrical parts.

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

Ok there is a test button :( sorry
Its the only one in my fuse box that does have a test button. All the other fuses are MCB
My other house was much older than this one but not sure if it had a RCCB or not. Never had a reason to look lol
There definatly is not any water leakage anywhere or I would have noticed by now, the water has been connected and turned on since the day it came here.
How can I check if its the element?

Thanks to all for your replys

Remove the lower front panel,on the right hand side you will see the heater connections.Disconnect the heater and see if it still trips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back