Hotpoint dishwasher not draining properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Hotpoint DWF61 dishwasher, and recently it started to smell. I noticed that after some (not all) washes there is about 1 inch of water left in the bottom - this was the cause of the smell.

I have checked the drain hose for blockages and cleaned out all the filters etc, but still the same problem.

Is there anything further I can try before I hasve to call someone out and pay. I have read other posts and it seems the pump could be blocked - how do I get to the pump to check this?? Also, if the pump is broken, can I fix it myself?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think this machine is the same as the Bosch. Take out the filters and strainers (mesh) and look into the bottom of the bowl. If there is a cover on the left of the bowl with a screw in it then that's the cover for the pump.
If not, it's a complete strip down job that even experienced engineers dread.

Just a thought and it may be way off the mark but I had a similar problem.

Where does the outlet pipe go to?, does it attach to the sink outlet?

I had an intermitent issue with none draining when I had the sink full of water and the dishwasher on, don't ask me how but it wouldn't drain properly when the sink had water in it, maybe some sort of vacuum effect??? :confused:

I installed a proper outlet for the dishwasher and low and behold the problem was cured.

The start cycle is to drain, do you hear the pump, does it take the water away?

Sponsored Links
While you can't access the pump body the impeller for the pump is normally accesible under a screwed down cover.

Is the water clean or dirty? It should be rinse water and shoul be clean. If its not then the machine isn't draining on the first cycle either, which implys a pump problem.

just out of curiosity... did you make sure your airgap on your sink isnt clogged? if you have one. the d/w drains to the airgap then to the disposal, if your airgap is clogged the d/w wont drain.

After a number of visits by an engineer, who just guessed at what it could be, and then ordered a part, changed the part on another visit, I insisted that a 'senior Engineer' visit, and be allowed sufficient time to make sure the problem had been solved. The senior engineer visited a week ago, and finally diagnosed what I had been saying for six months, " The water heater is not getting hot". The senior engineer visited yesterday and changed the 'HEATER UNIT DWF61' part number MS-1801925 (UK). Just before he changed the heater unit he found an electrical connection disconnected, so it may have been the cause of the heater unit not working, although he changed the unit anyway. All working fine now, so will renew my maintenance policy. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back