Hotpoint FFA47X Fridge Freezer - suddenly noisy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Hoping you can help… I have a Hotpoint FFA47X fridge freezer - two years old and just out of the shop warranty. Problem is it has suddenly become very noisy when it runs – started about two days ago. When you open the fridge door the ‘fan’ stops and the noise stops – close it and it starts again. I notice there is a little bit of ice build up starting in the freezer too - not sure if this is relevant. Any ideas please? Thank you very much for your help. :)

Sponsored Links
if it is a frost free, they sometimes get ice building up in the defrost pipes :eek:

if this is the case, unpacking it and giving it an old-fashioned defrost will clear them. you may like to pull it away from the wall and clean out the evaporation dish where the water drips. you will probably find it is quite dirty but you can sponge it clean.

look for and remove any fragments of food you find and look for any sign of blockages in the pipes.

It is frost free... i have defrosted and turned back on and all sounds great - thank you very much for your help!! :D

We have a Proline frost free upright freezer - same symptoms as above. We defrosted and the noise was gone. Yippee!! - or so I thought.

However 3 days later it is back.
Prior to the defost, the freezer had been 'over freezing' - the ice cream was absolutly rock hard! I'm presuming that it is the thermostat that has gone??
Any advice woudl be much appreciated - does it sound like the thermostat? are they replaceable and where do we source parts from?
The freezer is about 8 years old

Sponsored Links
how long did you leave it turned off and doors open to defrost? once the pipes inside the back are solid with ice it can take a couple of days to melt. you have to leave it open until it is no longer making any water inside the cabinet or into the dish at the back.

eat all the frozen food.

buy a freezer thermometer and see what temp it goes to

examine the door seal and see if it seals tight or if it is damaged

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back