Hotpoint Mistral 8596S not fixed after many repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Mistral 8596S which is almost 8 years old.

It originally went wrong when the fridge stopped cooling even though the freezer was fine. I called an engineer (ex Hotpoint) and he said the fan wasn't running so changed sensors and ran a self test which appeared to show the fan was OK but it wasn't fixed. So he came back. On the second visit he concluded the fan was not running as the circuit board had gone so the ciruit board was taken out . On the 3rd visit the circuit board was taken out and sent off to a company in Cumbria for repair (a new one cost £180 from Hotpoint). When it came back it was fitted and the system checked. Not working properly so the fan was changed. All working fine except code EE (defrost timeout) started flashing approx once a day. Having spent more than a week switching the unit off/on to reset the error I called the engineer back today. He phoned the company in Cumbria to see what they fixed - the EPROM had been replaced. They told him that as a matter of course when changing the circuit board they always change the fan. The engineer thinks the circuit blew again when the unit was run with the faulty fan. Only option now is to send the circuit board away for repair (which he won't charge me for).

I've lost count of how many times the engineer has been now! We are getting fed up as we have 2 young kids and can't live out of the tiny spare fridge for long and I can't keep carting off the contents of the freezer to relatives.

Question is - is it worth pursuing this - or should I just get a new fridge freezer?

Sponsored Links
At eight years old, yours has come to the end of its useful life. A new one will be more efficient, frost-free and cheaper to run.

this model is frost free!
so the useful life of these things is down to 8 years now? I can remember my parents having fridges and freezers lasting 15 to 20 years!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back