Hotpoint oven DHS53X Fan issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i have the above fan assisted oven, we have an issue with the fan in as much as the main fan initially doesnt come on until the 2nd cooling fan kicks in then it kicks in and thereafter works ok with no issues, cooks fine doesnt overheat.

Sponsored Links
Will have to be a strip down job to access fan to ascertain how its wired.

Does the fan not turn at all? Could it be that it is turning slowly or just jammed due to grease etc then when heated the grease eases allowing the fan to turn freely???

I was thinking that, so have turned the oven on and am running it through a self clean to see if that helps, then i will strip down and check the fan out, i am just looking at possible causes right now so i don't jump to conclusions and replace the motor then realize it was something else.

If after self clean it still does it and you remove fan check the electrical connections on the fan, not just the push on connectors but also the coil connections, may need re-soldering.
The heat generated by the element may be enough to cause the solder joint to make a connection again and kick in the fan.

Of course the fan can easily be checked on its own but will advise on that if the time comes and necessary.

Sponsored Links
If it easily turns by hand with no resistance then its obviosly an electrical fault.

Just had a thought, does anyone know if the fan motor is a 2 phase motor with it coming on when the cooling fan kicks in but not when you put it on fan only

Could be wrong but don't think anyone will know without seeing it.
Or at least finding a part no to refer to.

Don't think they are cooling fans but fans for heat circulation.

'This Hotpoint built-in double cooker in stainless steel includes a 65L fan assisted main oven with a 35L combined grill conventional oven. The cooker features 5 cooking programs and a 24hr programmable timer with time control. The oven has an air flow cooling fan, internal chimney venting and double glazed doors.'

Are you sure this is abnormal? When/why/how did you notice or think something was wrong?

Are you referencing the fans correctly, main fan and air cooling fan, which is which?

Am i sure, to honest no, its just we noticed that the main visible fan inside the oven does not kick in when the oven is turned on, and when i researched this everything says it should, the oven element glows very red ( but does not trip) and when the hidden cooling fan kicks in the main fan does also, what drew me to the problem was a bit of a boom inside the oven when it kicks in, there is a setting on the controls for defrosting and we are assuming the main fan should kick in for this it doesn't, but something does make a noise. Have i possibly got things the wrong way round

Ok just wanted to be sure before you started pulling apart.

Do you have a meter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back