Hotpoint oven DHS53X Fan issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i have posted an issue with this oven before where the main oven fan doesn't always seem to come on and the oven isn't heating up correctly ie oven heats up reaches temp, cools down slightly but doesn't kick back in, i have now replaced the main oven thermostat and the issue still remains any ideas where i go next please

Sponsored Links
http://www.ransomspares.co.uk/parts/brands/hotpoint/cookers-hobs/dhs53x/default.htm?p=1

Here you will find all spares for your oven for reference, help to identify parts.
Locate the stats and test with a meter.
Cut-in will work the opposite to cut-out.

The oven temp control knob? This has a thermostat attached to it that cannot be replaced separately, I don't think.
Does the oven get to the temp set by the control? Say at 100deg and at 250deg

Which thermostat did you replace?

There is a cut-in stat which must be for the fan, when it gets hot switches on the fan. Surely must be for the main fan.

If fan not cutting in or not soon enough the heat could be getting too hot and the cut out stat turns off the element until it resets itself when fully cooled down.
So, when it cuts out turn the oven off then turn back on before it cools down, does it come on or not. Do you have to wait for it to completely cool down?

I have replaced the main oven thermostat that sits inside the main oven and connects to the oven control knob via an oven control switch ( which i now suspect). the oven is heating up now, and cooling down and reheating but not to to the control settings ie- i set the knob to say 180, the light comes on then goes off the element shuts down the oven cools and the element kicks back in but its not 180, much cooler and at no point has the fan kicked in.

Do you have a multi meter that you could monitor the supply to the element with? It could work out expensive by simply replacing parts that you suspect.

Sponsored Links
Cut-in stat operates at around 65deg.

Main oven control knob must be a rheostat so resistance varies according to position of dial so should be easy to check with meter.

Is there a temp sensor fitted to this oven, didn't see one listed in the parts list.

Theres a m/o cut-in stat, Main Oven Cut-in stat?

Simple chat please i can normally find my way around things but am no electrician lol. Cut in stat operates at 65 sooooo what does this do as there is heat in the oven. There is as far as i know no temp sensor just the oven thermostat, i can get hold of a temp sensor which i will try and dig out to check temp. I don't think its the element as this glows strong when heating up and only cuts out when the temp light comes on.

So cut out thermostat will turn off something when a certain temp is reached i.e heating element
Cut in thermostat will turn on something when a certain temp is reached i.e circulation fan

Interestingly how many elements do you think you have in your cooker? Grill, top oven, bottom oven

Popped out to the shop's and before we left we turned the oven on to 200 so could check it when i got back, and everything is working, fan kicked in full temperature, did the same yesterday and no fan and a cool oven. I am aware that the main oven has its own element and thermostat separate from the top oven grill, as i have replaced the split element in the top oven in the past. So it could still be the cut in switch or main control switch and it appears to be intermittent, the strange thing here is, i tried the oven several times last week and the onLy day it work as it should was a bleeding Sunday !!!!!!

I think it might be a good idea to gain access to the control pcb to have a look for any obvious signs of bad components.
Photos would be nice.

The reason I asked about the heating elements, 1 for grill, 1 for top oven, 1 or 2 for the fan oven??? Theres usually a 2nd in the base, could that be what the m/o cut-in stat is for?

Unfortunately I have never worked on one so don't know, would love to get my hands on one to rip apart.

Mmm not seen anything regarding a second element anywhere on any of the spare sites, no obvious heat coming from the base of the oven. Am gong to run a few more tests over the coming days as i now can check the oven temperature and will be looking to see it the temp gets over 65, but clearly under the right circumstances fan and element work fine, going to order a new switch anyway

Bugger grrrrrrr new switch fitted new cut in ( there is only one i assume) fitted. Fan still not kicking in and oven only hitting half the desired setting ie 200 only gets to 110 max, 180 gets to 90. Ping..... Were looking at the element arn't we.

Soooo, how many elements are in your cooker?

http://www.ransomspares.co.uk/parts...ers-hobs/dhs53x/twin-grill-element/141542.htm

http://www.ransomspares.co.uk/parts/brands/hotpoint/cookers-hobs/dhs53x/fan-element-2000w/8443.htm

http://www.ransomspares.co.uk/parts...ers-hobs/dhs53x/base-element-1200w/142742.htm

Again, I am not familiar with your cooker or how it works

Could it be there are 2 elements in the main oven, one element heats to
65deg which cuts in a stat which in turn switches on the fan that then switches on the other element to reach full temp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back