hotpoint washing machine - is my circuit board on its way out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a hotpoint ultima thats started playing up. when in use the display starts flashing really quickly rather than displaying the time left. sometimes the time will skip a few minutes, sometimes add a few minutes on. apart from that its still working ok.

can it only be the circuit board on its way out? or could something else be causing a good circuit board to do this? is my best option to just run it til it dies and replace?

thanks

Sponsored Links
nice thread, thanks. dont understand capacitors and circuit boards really, but theres enough info there for an idiot like me to be able to have a bash at :)

thanks again

decided to take the advice on the thread and buy a little capacitor, but i dont really understand the specs involved. looks like id need a 1000uf 16v capacitor, but i dont trust myself to buy the right item. would anyone be kind enough to link me to an item on ebay or online shop for the right capacitor please?

thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
thank you very much :)

(id guessed at item no DT69A so just as well i didnt buy that one instead)

Your guess was actually spot on - it's the same electrical spec but a higher temperature, for most domestic uses either will be fine, but for an extra 30p I think I'd go with your choice, it may actually last a bit longer!

Nick

p.s. I have some 85 degree capacitors from 1985 that are still working in some home-made equipment, so don't worry if you have the 19p ones, they'll probably outlast the washing machine anyway.

Last edited:
finally got round to buying a capacitor ^^

now, how do i get to the circuit board please? whereabouts is it? easy to remove?

thanks

well im pleased to report another successful result to the borked capacitor problem. youtubed how to get to circuit board and finally managed to solder a new one on the board and hey presto, seems to have worked.

never soldered before, and had problems. thought id use it as an excuse to buy new kit and learn a new skill, but the £10 iron from maplins wouldnt heat up the solder on the board. even by scraping lacquer from the board it still didnt melt it, so returned the kit and got a refund. in the end took it to a mate who still struggled. finally used some sort of heavier duty 2 pronged type iron and managed to prise the old one out. solderings not as easy as it looks!

thanks a lot for your advice.

my daughter has just rang me to ask how i fixed it as her washer has just packed up. its a hotpoint whirlpool AWO/R 4205. doesnt have the same problem, she says its not showing any power going to it, no lights or anything, yet theyve checked the fuse, taken front off and cleaned filter.

could it be same problem as mine or is this likely to be a different fault?

thanks a lot

Not familiar with this model Hotpoint but you could try using an extension lead to plug it into a different socket to see if it works. If the machine now has power, then its a problem with the socket. Not common but not unheard off either.

no, shes tried that and the sockets fine. shes on the verge of buying a new one so ive told her to at least try the capacitor fix, nothing to lose.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back