Hotpoint WD640 not drying Photos>help identify bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically everything works fine bar the drying process. It proceeds onto the drying programme but no heat seems to be generated (Shell feels cool and no steam pouring out of the power hole/filler as normal)

I have searched on here i *think* it could be the thermostats or a heating element thats gone.

*note thinking hurts and i could be very wrong, i`m open to suggestions!

Problem is i dont fancy paying hotpoint £89 call out to change something if its simple, even if we do get free parts (its 26months old and barely used!!) just the principle and i would like to learn something.

i have included some photos, could people point out what is on the photos or tell me if i have the basic title right, as its the first time i have looked inside a washing machine

I believe the thermostats are the brass pair of nuts, on the top alloy casing, there is a black round electrical item on the same casing 4 or 5 wires, not sure what that is, a couple of earths and a big brown ish transformer like thing, no idea what is does but it looks brown on the electromagnet bit, is that right?

basically if anyone can point me in right direction for the thermostats and the heater elelments (if they agree thats what could be at fault) i would be really grateful.

I dont think there are any servicable filters on this model according to the things i have read, but if there is something i should check over (i know its pumping out water fine, and cold feed is good to the machine)

we are really skint with xmas and saving for wedding so it cant have gone at a worse time!

thanks in advance

Top view of casing, counterweight etc
4cw78yp.jpg

Brown thing on casing
2lbyg5z.jpg

Thermostat/ earths and black thing on casing
43yqgx0.jpg

Water inlet to machine
2q839s5.jpg

Motor/___? In background? heat exchanger?
3y806yo.jpg

Water pump out
2ljic0j.jpg

Outlet from drum and some sensors?
2pzgnm1.jpg

Heat exchanger in background?
2gwf22a.jpg

Where is the condenser???

Sponsored Links
The metal box affair on the top is the heater box. The two single connectors are the ends of the element.
the other two parts with wires on them are the thermostats. (Most likely 1 or both are open circuit).

Then condenser is on the rear of the tub. Follow the pipes from the cold inlet valves. One goes to the condenser.

The "brown" thing is the fan motor which blows the air into the inner drum.

Thanks for that,

so plan of action is tto check the thermostats for being open circuit (i have a multimeter, do i just do a continuity check across the thermostat? am i expecting continuity or a broken circuit across it?)

and the heater element is inside the alloy casing? so i can crack that open and have a look at it?

i`m unsure if i can check if the fan motor is working, could i just hard wire it to a small battery?

cheers

Sponsored Links
to check fan just put on dryer on control and turn on and see if fan is turning if not its proberly blown stats, i have not known the element to blow very often!

good luck
Ant

looks like it the stats:

Element still has continuity, and also reads a small voltage across it when the unit is in drying mode.

fan works fine, voltage across it and can hear/feel it working and getting warm.

looks like it the stats to try first then. Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back