Hotpoint WF000 Bearing worth replacing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Hotpoint WF000, approximately 11 years old. Drum bearings are completely shot, its very noisy in operation, and some distinct wobble in the drum. (Mainly due to the dozy ex overloading it every wash I suspect....) Anyway, a local guy quoted me £120 to repair it, but now his colleague took one look at it today and said its knackered, and not worth repairing. If he did, he doesn't think it'll last much longer as he's surprised the PCB hasnt failed yet!

He is happy however, to sell me a new LG machine for £315.... Worth getting a second opinion on the Hotpoint?

Sponsored Links
At 11 years, I'd say thanks and call it a day, I think.....the motor must be on borrowed time too.
A good advert for Hotpoint, I think!
John :)

These days we just buy a cheap machine and replace when it goes "big" wrong. We've had good service out of the Beko machine we have now. 7 years with a replacement door switch. (Replaced by me. As soon as you get an engineer involved the cost gets too much againt the cost of replacement IMO.)
Something like one of these, although there are plenty of places to look online.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/beko-h...hines/332_3119_30206_2169_xx/xx-criteria.html

Thanks Chaps, will have a look at the Beko machines, as long as it cleans the clothes I dont really mind. Only me here now, with the daughter appearing at weekends with her laundry, so just want something functional.

I'm loath to through anything away if I think it can be repaired, the Tumble dryer is getting on for 18 years old, and apart from new door frame, its all original. Looking at the parts prices on the Hotpoint, I think it may not be cost effective to repair it, even if I attempt myself I think. May strip it down just to satisfy my curiosity! :D

Sponsored Links
The bearings will only be a fiver for the pair, obviously if you fancy a go yourself then that's great - but I wouldn't pay for a pro to do it.
In most cases the drums can be split, but I can't comment on yours. Of course, if you do fix it you may have two machines by then, and they don't like being in storage!
Decisions......

I don't like throwing stuff away either, but the turning point for me came with a machine a while back. It had done nearly ten years, with various small replacements, door seal etc. done by yours truly. The motor went, and it was (IIRC) £70 for a replacement. "What else is waiting to go?" I thought.
So a new machine with 12 months warranty for £200 quid or so, was a no brainer.
Take the old 'un down the tip, er sorry "Recycling facility" :)

Thanks for your time Guys, I've bitten the bullet, new Beko coming on Monday, £180 from Currys. ;)

Much as I hate throwing things away, old habits die hard! My Dad remains an almighty hoarder, but then my Grandparents on both sides lived through the war, and whatever they had, had to last them. That then was a big factor of my childhood, Mum used to buy groceries from different shops each week, if the Weetabix was a few p cheaper in Co-op it got bought in the Co-op... :D

My parents lived though WWII, grandparents through both WWs. They were all very "make do and mend", but stuff was more mendable, and simpler too. My grandparents (thinking about it) never even had a washing machine. Nan was still doing the washing by hand well into her 80s.
It's just so much easier to be a good consumer. :D
(And still hoard!)

Anyone have use for a 1978 Hoover Junior? (My Nan's is in Dad's garage.) He also has his dad's 1950's garden rotavator, with a JAP engine that has been obsolete for about 40 years, so will never run again, an old climbing frame from my childhood, a single wooden bed base that needs repairing, hundreds of Whitworth nut and bolts, and thats just off the top of my head.

I remember once asking if he had a plane I could borrow to take a bit off a door. The answer was 'Yes, but I dont think its any good.' Mum promptly jumped in with' If its no good why are you keeping it!?' The response was 'I dont know where it is, and I'm not looking for it just to throw it away....' Guess who'll be sorting that lot out when he's no longer with us..... :rolleyes:

JAP engines! Stands for J.A.Prestwich, origins in Brummie I think......always cast iron and often used a Zenith updraught carb.
I really need to go out occasionally :eek:

I have childhood memories of the beast, it ran on 2 stroke mix I believe, and made a mean job of the rough clay soil in this area. The engine was simplicity itself, and I still reckon if we could get some new rings for it, it would breathe fire once again. :D

I had a little JAP engine. Off a charging set for batteries I think mine was. A 4 stroke side valve WWII vintage (RAF I think I was told),
Gave it to someone who was interested in them.
They made engines for all sorts. A lot of motorbike makers used them in the 30s. Brough Superior used their V twins, as did Morgan for their 3 wheelers. The engine was also (or so I have been told) used on maintenance trolleys for the railways.
Just to show that John isn't the only one who needs to get out more! :D
You'd probably get rings if you did some hunting. I thought I'd heard somewhere that JAP was taken over by Villiers. A bit of checking finds that it was, in 1957, so your JAP 2 stroke may possibly use Villiers parts?

With the power of the internet I might have a look. I'll have to dig some details out for the engine, and see if I can track something down. (Maybe I need to get out more too, but have been banned from the pub on medical grounds so need to fill my spare time somehow!) Will report back with findings if anyone is interested. o_O

Good luck with it, and do let us know how you get on. Nice to see some of this old stuff up and running.

Update on the Washing machine saga..... Beko turned up, supposedly a 6kg capacity! Drum in only 9" deep, I reckon a King Size bed sheet would fill it. Rang Curry's and have sent it back.

Meanwhile, rang Hotpoint they've done me a deal, pay £17.49 a month for next 12 months, and that gets me current machine repaired, (they'll fit a new drum they said), and 12 months warranty on the rest of the machine. So have gone for that, fingers crossed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back