Hotpoint WM74P Washer "E15 Check Outlet Pipes" err

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if someone can help with this problem.

On my old Hotpoint WM74P I'm getting the E15 Check Outlet Pipes error message repeatedly and can't get around the problem.

I've had this several times in the past and been able to clear debris out of the tub/pump and get it working again but this time everything looks clear but it still throws out the error.

Here's what I've done:

- Removed and cleaned the outlet pipe
- Cleared debris from the drain "filter"
- Cleared debris from the tub drain hole
- Confirmed the pump is OK by dangling the outlet pipe into the sink and confirming very good flow rates and also confirmed that after the error message the tub is empty...pump sound is also normal.
- Confirmed that the sink drain is not at fault as the error occurs when the outlet pipe is dangled into the sink
- Checked the operation of the round shaped level switch - put a continuity tester on it and blew air into it and confirmed the switch is operating....for good measure I cleaned the contacts inside the switch too.
- Also blew into the clear pipe back into the tub to ensure no debris causing a blockage for the level switch...heard water bubbling so sounds clear enough.
- Confirmed the clear pipe has no holes that would prevent it activating the level switch.
- Reseated the connectors from the level switch onto the PCB to make sure there are no loose connections.
- Also ran the machine to the point where it was pumping out and then manually alternated the level switch (by blowing into it) to no effect.

Looking at this logically, it would seem that maybe the PCB is at fault as it's not recognising the empty tub anymore or there's another level switch somewhere that I'm unaware of which is causing the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Does it take hot water somtimes , you have a heater fault.

I have both Cold and Hot inlets connected to the cold water supply so there's no hot water entering the machine.

Does the powder go down. That will be the next prob it's caused by the heater.

Sponsored Links
It appears that both the detergent and fabric conditioner have been used as there's none left in those compartments.

If all pipes are clear then u have a heater fault , the loss of hot or your case cold water will come next, change the heater.

OK thanks. One other thing to note is that there is some movement in the drum. It's no longer centred within the tub (about 5mm off centre) and can be moved if enough pressure is applied. Seems like the bearings or a support arm of some sort has broken as you can move the drum. Not sure if that has had an effect on the heater?

Yep been noisy on spin ? Before you buy a heater u will need drum support or bearings it's cut though the heater. Think about it it's 10 years old gonna cost you about 60 quid in parts and a few hours work but if bearing don't come out new drum needed , your call !

Yeah it's been noisy for a while and I had to replace the top two retaining springs a couple of weeks back along with a perforated door seal. Seems that was just the beginning of the end so I'll quit at this point and start researching a replacement. It's been reliable for 10 yrs so can't complain.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back