Hotpoint WMA58P Washing Machine Door Won't Lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I put some washing in the washing machine this evening to wash (though I didn't over fill it).

Went into the other room to do some ironing and after a while heard a loud banging noise so I returned to the kitchen to investigate.

I discovered the washing spinning away (loudly) but the door was fully open. I tried to shut it but it wasn't having any of it, so I turned the dial to Stop.

I thought the machine wouldn't operate if the door wasn't locked shut?

Sponsored Links
And does anyone know how I would get to the door interlock part to remove it? Videos show removing the rubber seal near that part, but there's no retaining clip anywhere above the door seal like I've seen in videos so the seal seems pretty solidly stuck.

The machine should indeed not work when the door is opened. Either the door lock is faulty or something has jammed it. The actuator hasn't broken off the handle & stuck in the switch by any chance has it?

The machine should indeed not work when the door is opened. Either the door lock is faulty or something has jammed it. The actuator hasn't broken off the handle & stuck in the switch by any chance has it?

Thank you for your response.

Well I don't know what an actuator is, but I've had a closer look at the machine and it seems like a little bit of white plastic from the door handle has sheared off as it feels a little rough to touch (but I've never paid much attention to what that little bit would look like usually) but I can't see anything resembling it on the floor near the machine.

However, I've just now tried to set the washing machine on a cycle, with the door wide open, and the machine kicked into action as usual before I quickly turned the dial back to 'Stop', so the machine thinks the door is locked when it isn't - which is what you were suggesting?

I've ordered two parts from espares (the door handle bit and the interlocking bit) but I have no idea how I'm going to fit the interlocking part when it arrives as all the 'How To' videos show a person releasing the rubber seal by means of some retaining clip around the edge above the seal ... which my machine does not have.

Sponsored Links
There is a zipper type thin metal band in the grove of the door seal. It normally starts where the door hinge goes . But to replace the door catch that's broken on the door you don't need to touch the seal you have to split the door frame screws are round the inner frame.

There is a zipper type thin metal band in the grove of the door seal. It normally starts where the door hinge goes . But to replace the door catch that's broken on the door you don't need to touch the seal you have to split the door frame screws are round the inner frame.

Thank you rocks1. Like I say I've ordered the two parts and they'll be arriving in a few days. Hopefully replacing the door handle part will fix the problem, but as jj4091 suggested that maybe the part that broke off has actually jammed into the interlock, making the machine think the door is locked shut when it's wide open, then maybe I'm going to have to replace both. I'm not looking forward to replacing the interlock part if needs be as it seems a lot less straightforward, what with having to pull part of the rubber seal away and then (hopefully) get it back together again.

Remove the lid. 2 torx screws on the side. Lid off reach down to the lock undo the two screws on the lock. Mutiplug on the door latch. Pull on and pull off. But you will get instructions on the new lock to reverse the multi plug on the door lock. Otherwise it will go bang.

I think I'm going to scream!

The two parts came today so this evening I set about changing the door latch part which had sheared off the original. Took the door off the machine as instructed, removed the inner and outer parts of the frame, replaced the part, re-attached the two parts of the door and went to screw the door back onto the machine when suddenly I heard a rattle from inside the machine and what sounded like something small and possibly metallic falling to the bottom of the machine (inside, where the hinge is).

Consequently I can't now re-attach the blimmin' door - the screws are just spinning in the holes as if whatever rattled and fell inside was what grabbed the screws.

Should I just give up now and buy a new machine?

You don't need to remove the door to put lock on. Just split the frame. If you found the band that's round the seal remove that , peel door seal back and reach down inside to get the metal plate and hold it on the front panel and screw door back on

You don't need to remove the door to put lock on. Just split the frame. If you found the band that's round the seal remove that , peel door seal back and reach down inside to get the metal plate and hold it on the front panel and screw door back on

Do you think that that is the problem - the metal plate dropped off at the other side? Any ideas what it might feel like?

It's a square plate about 1 inch x 2 inch that's the plate that's all that fell off

Just removed the seal and with a head torch took a look inside the bottom of the machine. There's nothing at all that looks like it is the other side of the door hinge (from what I can see anyway).

But I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

I'm giving up for the night now anyway as I'm getting frustrated and cross and I've got to make Chocolate Caramel Shortbread for work tomorrow.

281822807562 eBay. That's what you are looking for. And I'm watching the walking dead.

281822807562 eBay. That's what you are looking for. And I'm watching the walking dead.

Thanks so much for that, that's very helpful. Fortunately the OH had a good look last night and spotted the plate that had dropped at the bottom, so we've just been able to re-attach the door.

We've now got another problem though in that we can't unplug the wiring part of the door interlock - it seems stuck solid even though on the videos the chap just pulls the piece out no bother. It doesn't help that there's not much give to it so it can't really be pulled away from the side very much.

And also, I'm also a bit concerned about what you said in post #7 about "Mutiplug on the door latch. Pull on and pull off. But you will get instructions on the new lock to reverse the multi plug on the door lock. Otherwise it will go bang."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back