Hotpoint WMUD 9627 blowing RCD and drum has a scorch mark

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I have a Hotpoint WMUD 9627 washing machine and everytime I switch it on and run a cycle within a second I hear a huge bang in the drum and then the house RCD trips. After this I can't switch the washing machine on as it instantly trips the RCD.

I have opened up the machine and through process of elimination I have found that when I disconnect the live wire from the drum (image attached) the machine powers on albeit useless to use. As soon as I connect the live wire, RCD trips again. I can also see some scorch marks on the drum, probably from all the blows.

How can I fix my washing machine? I assume there is a seal that's broken that is perhaps filling the electric hatch in drum or something? Or will I need a complete new drum unit or perhaps and a new washing machine altogether?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20240406_154800.jpg
    20240406_154800.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
I think you need a new heating element to start with. What happens when you run it with the element disconnected, do you get an error code or any flashing lights on the display.

I think you need a new heating element to start with. What happens when you run it with the element disconnected, do you get an error code or any flashing lights on the display.
Thank you for this. I think your right, the heating element needs to be replaced. I will give that a go and see what happens. As far as error codes go, I've not checked the display yet after power up.

I would do that before ordering the element in case there are other problems.

Sponsored Links
The heating element has shorted internally. The fix is to install a new one, hopefully, it hasn't done any other damage.

I've just spent 3 hours and 2 man labour pulling out the heating element. Never worked so hard in my life

It was full of timescale.... New element will arrive tomorrow, I'm quietly confident that the new element will do the trick. Thanks guys.

The new heating element did the trick! Thanks for the prompt and helpful advice. So glad I went down this route and didn't scrap the machine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back