Hotpoint WT540P 1400

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need help or information urgently please. Bought this machine new in May so it is still under warranty. It has started making a loud knocking/scraping noise on the spin cycle. The noise appears to be caused by something between the inner and outer drum. A daft question but would this be covered under the warranty. if not how big a job and what would be involved is it to strip it down to be able to see what is causing the problem.

Sponsored Links
open door place hand over lifter 3 inside drum and pull towards you ,then see whats under the drum ,fitting in reverse order, could be chargable depending on engineer. loads of coffee fluter eyelids you might get away with it :LOL:

Thanks rocks1. I make a decent cup of coffee but at 6 foot, 15 stone and with a couple of days stubble on the chin the fluttering of eyelids is unlikely to get a discount and possilbly result in one disturbed engineer having nightmares for weeks. I have looked in the inner drum and can see nothing only the smallest of gap between seal and inner drum.

PS What is lifter 3

:oops: lifter is the 3 blue /white long plastic bits inside the drum

Sponsored Links
Thanks again rocks1, just removed all 3 lifters and slowly turned drum. Nothing in the bottom of the drum. Scraping noise seems to be from the rear of the drum when turned by hand. The knock seems to be something catching the heating element, guess i need to call them out and hope its a warranty job. A bit puzzled how anything could have got a the back of the drum. Once again thanks

tip mc back look underneath and undo sump in the centre of drum ,access to heater is in front of that poss a bra wire stuck in there

Hi again just had a quick look underneath. At the front of the drum is a blacl pipe that goes to the pump i think. Underneath the drum at the back is the motor. I can see the wires connected to the heater. If i take the back off is it possible to remove the heater to get access that way

no dont remove heater you wont get it back in .the black pipe that goes to pump the other end goes to sump jubilee clip round it , remove and have a look you can see heater though the sump

The black pipe that i can see is underneath the drum at the front jubilee clipped in place. The heater is at the back. If i take that pipe off i still dont think i be able to see or reach where the noise is coming from

have a look you never know ,the heater is long and will just be short of the sump .

ok thanks i will check it when i get home from work tomorrow and will post what i find. Once again many thanks for your help and patience much obliged

Removed the lifter bars. Isolated the noise about 3 inches past one of the lifter slots at the back of the drum. You could hear the foreign object moving across the heater element but could not see anything. So just gently turned the drum back and forth so the offending object just kept catching the heater and after about 5 mins presto out pops one end of a bra wire. Washer once again spinning quietly. Rocks1 i owe you one for this you have been brilliant, thank you so much for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back