Hotpoint's 5 Year Parts Warranty...what a laugh....Not!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new fitted kitchen 4 years ago (or the missus did ;)) and filled it with matching Hotpoint appliances, including a built in combination oven/microwave. After 4 years, the oven went a bit balmy. For details, click here. So we call up Hotpoint and they send an engineer around, who says you need some new parts that have to be ordered. So we wait......eventually they call us and arrange to fit them, then just before, Hotpoint phone and cancel......more waiting......another visit arranged....and cancelled.......Then after 2 months my wife chased them up and they said we're sorry, the parts are obsolete.

The appliance came with a 5 year guarantee on parts, what about that? we ask, the oven's only 4 years old. Sorry the parts are obsolete they say, we can offer you a £50 voucher. :evil:

Anyone any ideas? I don't want to throw out a 4 year old £600 oven that's not had a hard life. There are only two of us and we also have a standard oven that's used much of the time.

Sponsored Links
what parts were requiring replacing.

They will only fit their own original parts so you may still be able to get compatible or oem parts from elsewhere.

The hotpoint five year parts guarantee comes with quite a few caveats and although they are supposed to keep a stock of spares for all appliances untill they have been out of production for five years, in practice they will run out of some parts much sooner. (I know Hoover are the same as we could not get a replacement heater box for a Washer Dryer that was only 3 years old and out of production for just over 2 years)

This is part of the problem, because of the nature of the fault, the engineer said that he recommended 3 parts be replaced, but we don't know what they are.

Unfortunately the fault is only manifest about 25% of the time, sometimes opening and closing the door a few times gets rid of it, and sometimes it goes off when the oven below is used, strange because they are both on separate circuits with their own dedicated MCB's in the consumer unit. Perhaps it's something to do with the heat.

The guy who came out from Hotpoint says he recognises the oven as a Zanussi model but I guess it will appear cosmetically different and have a different model number.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back