Hotpoint Element Eater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a built in Hotpoint microwave / oven combination, model MWHZ33I. It is about 6 years old now, but needs new heating elements every 18 months. So we are on our fifth set now including the originals.

The oven has three elements, one big one at the top which has been fine so far, and two smaller single bar elements at the back behind the fan. (Part nos C00061536 and C00138804) I don't know if it's the same one that causes the problem as I always replace both, but when one goes, the others don't work either. Once the elements are replaced all is well for about 18 months. Then suddenly there is no heat, or the RCD in our consumer unit trips and a new pair are required. When the two old elements are removed, they are quite badly distorted, particularly the top one. They are only supported at the ends.

The oven is used daily, as there are just two of us, it's plenty big enough for our needs, but why does it consume elements at such a prolific rate? and can anything be done to rectify it? the elements are about £40 a time to buy & fortunately I can replace them myself, but I have to remove the main oven below for access so it's becoming a bit of a pain.

Sponsored Links
It is a poor design. When the element is glowing it won't have much mechanical strength so it will sag in the middle. I dare say like everything else these days they skimp on materials and make them with a very thin outer sheath. You would probably be better off with a normal built in double oven and a separate ordinary microwave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back