Hotpots on warm roof - normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is a GRP warm roof built in 2022. In cold weather there are consistently hot spots of melted ice in the locations pictured. Is this expected or does it indicate poor construction? How would you investigate?

I had my doubts about the builder expertise with this type of roof tbh, and there is an ongoing issue of thermal movement noises which I guess suggests inadequate fixings were used.
1000030254.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes it's air leakage - a gap in the insulation layer and maybe the vapour layer too.

Do you have downlighters fitted in the ceiling?
Yes we do. I understand that would be an issue with cold roof, but a well constructed warm roof wouldn't matter would it?

I will note that as another cockup from the builders, then...

Presumably no fix apart from taking plaster down inside or taking off the roof to refit?

Sponsored Links
A thermal camera would help narrow down the locations, but yes the remedy is opening up the roof. The question is whether rectification work is actually necessary.

So your assessment might be that it's not ideal but short term no significant damage being caused?

Personally, we prefer hotpots at the dining table...I'll get my coat :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back