Hotwater Pressure On mains pressure system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all looking to get my hot water pressure up slightly as the shower is a bit useless and also the pressure from the hot tap isn't great.

So my system

Main cold water pressure is great no issues we had to reduce the pressure as it caused washers to fail so often.

Mains water comes into house it had a stop cock fitted to system as it didn't have one and we added a pressure reducer this stopped washers failing so much etc.

So I was on a combi and it was never great pressure but did us for what we needed.

When we had an extension we also had a pellet boiler fitted so we moved to a thermal store all of which is still main water pressured.
Here's where my issue lies although cold water is fine when ever you run the hot the pressure for hot is a lot less than the cold and thus makes for a pretty rubbish shower and can take a while to run a bath.
If we want to use the mixer shower head on the bath you know the type that uses pressure to keep it on the shower head rather than the bath tap, you have to run it with more cold than you would want to keep the shower head running.

So the tank is heated by pellet boiler and cold water feeds into the coil via another pressure reducer and is heated in the tank and out the other side (standard stuff) where it comes out it is blended to the set temperature on a mixer type valve pictured (green cap)

What do you think would be the cause of the slower hot water and what can I do about it? Really want a shower with a bit of power but cant put an electric one in and always found they are quite useless too.

Sponsored Links
Is that a mixing valve on the hot outlet, what's that set to? Can you check the dynamic pressure/flow and temp at a hot outlet and report back?

Sponsored Links
The mixing valve is on the hot outlet yes I will try and get some time at the weekend to get some measurements.

Having looked closer at my cold feed I think my problem lies in the fact that the older part of the house where the pipe enters is 15mm and 22mm has been put in to distribute to the rest of the house. Still doesnt explain why cold is slower than hot upstairs though as the old sill suplies the same hot water flow so you would thibk it would even out.

Will try and measure see what results I get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back