House bricks which sealer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just purchased a 1930's terrace house, and the top half of the house is pebble dashed render.My concern is with the bottom half which seems to have been painted and is not rendered.It is bricks which have flaky paint and the colour is red matt but very powdery.

The corner of the house has quoins which is also red bricks painted in some matt red.The bricks can be picked when i dig my nails into them or poke it with a screwdriver.
It is a solid wall house with no cavity and 9" wall.

I have been told that it is due to the thawing of the bricks.Can i apply a resin stabilizer and paint on the bricks.I will hopefully be in this house for life so want it to be sorted properly.Will the bricks crumble and fall eventually as they have been thawed now??.Please advise. Any recommendations please for primer or stabilizer whatever it needs .I want to use dulux weathersheild exterior paint.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'd personally remove all paintwork, replace any badly spalled brick, repoint any areas which need repointing and apply Stormdry to the brickwork. Have a search for it, its a brilliant little product and will protect the external skin of your house from freeze/thaw and spalling along with protecting you from penetrating damp which with having no cavity can be a problem. Its also proven to reduce heating bills while still enabling your house to breath. Expensive but very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back