House extension - building quotes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just got planning approval to start an extension to my kitchen and to add a forth bedroom over. I have a list of builders to obtain quotes and wanted to ask a couple of questions.
I would like to do some of the easier work my self so I am to try to find someone that will work with me rather than quote for the whole job from start to finish.

1. Will builders supply a labour only quote or will they normally turn their nose up a such a request? I have local builders merchants which I have used in the past and I could manage all the materials.

2. I would like to dig the drains for the extension and join them into the existing drains. Normally do the drains get dug at the same time as the footings or are they done after the main structure is completed?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
the more you take on board the less it will ultimately cost you. you will also become a scapegoat.

it will be frowned upon by some builders , that you are trying to skim off the profit making areas of some of the build.

remember, seasoned experienced builders treat on-site novices like shoite, even if they are paying the wages.

the concrete foundations in most scenarios can be dug and poured without having to do the drains. just make sure there aren't any deep drain runs across the site. you will have to fit the drains to any direct ground floor loo connections prior to laying the floor slab. the brick and block work will have to be lintelled over to allow such drains.

Hello Tukky,

Ive just had a lot of work done. My builder gave me a labour only qoute and set me up with an account at my local builders merchants. Worked out good for me. I was on site as much as i could be and the final price from the builder took my labour in account. Remember to have all the details worked out in advance so you both know where you stand. Dont know about the drains question though, i went upwards with my build.

Sponsored Links
You'll only get in the way. Leave them to it, it won't cost you any extra.

Thanks for your comments guys!

I think I will get a few quotes and then see where I stand. I hopefully can get a builder that I can work with. I dont want to tread on his toes so as long as we agree what I he is doing right from the start we shouldnt have a problem.

I did foundations, drainage and floor myself. Employed a builder and carpenter for about 6 weeks on day rate for walls / roof / rendering. I bought all the parts (You should be able to negotiate as good a deal from the builders merchant as any builder for a decent size project).

Saved loads of money on the preparations / foundations / drainage. Was able to contrubute during the build by making sure all the parts were in the right place every day. However, I stayed well clear of the core activities to ensure I was never in the builders way. I think he enjoyed the experience as I did all the jobs he found boring! You do need to pick a builder you can trust to do a days work on a day rate though!!!

Finishing the inside now. Looks like I have bought the project in at about 60 - 70% of the quotes ... and to a much higher standard ... but its a lot of evenings and weekends!

Hi,

I have just got planning approval to start an extension to my kitchen

I trust you have Building Control approval as well before you start.

As for drains and foundations order of works. It is simply a matter of whatever suits the particular job best for speed and convenience. Common practice is to get the footings in first and make sure the level of them suits any drainage that needs to come through the walls. After that you do whichever is best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back