House floor vent issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may not be the correct location for this question, but here goes

I have venting bricks to vent one of more rooms of my house, but I'd like to build a patio, which itself would be above those air bricks.

How do I maintain the venting to the house?

Sponsored Links
Its not a good idea to construct anything that is above air brick level as its also likely to be above DPC....and there will be damp for sure afterwards.
John :)

Sponsored Links
As above - but do consider rain splashes as well!
I have seen air bricks ducted to the outside using plastic drain, but this was over a smallish area (steps up to a patio door).
John :)

The patio would be just below the dpc, but above the floor vents, they key it to try to maintain a similar level inside and out.

I was trying to understand the implications, whish I think I am, and as such can now better consider my options.

many thanks for the comments, they have helped.

I recall seeing an approach to this, looked quite a neat solution albeit it had the potential to allow water to flow into the vent , I took a photo so will have a look for it later.

The key is the 150mm below dpc.

There are plenty of work arounds to help solve air flow to air bricks but compromising your DPC clearance can lead to lots of hard to rectify problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back