house lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks

need some helpfull advice......our house lights have stopped working.

the missus switched them on this morning and straight away they tripped.........when the trip switch was reset the lights did not work, checked the fuse and replaced it cause it was blown....still no lights.....replaced a bulb still no go. lights were working fine last night.

the lights to the house are on a single fuse line for the whole house....the fuse box only has 4 fused lines.....sockets, lights, cooker and shower

what could be causing the lack of power to the lights??? got to have em with three nippers in the house and need to know if this is a self fix issue (something simple that i am missing) or if i need a pro to find/solve the issue

Sponsored Links
Go round and turn ALL the switches OFF for the lights, if the fuse stays on then you will need to look for a blown lamp that might have a filament that's popped and causing a short.

If the fuse board is old, it could be a age related failure and the MCB has served it's time on planet earth and will require changing.

Am a bit confused by references to tripping AND fuses but...

was replacement fuse good or has it blown instantly when inserted?

Sponsored Links
replacement fuse was good and has not blown when inserted.....taken all bulbs out now and have one new one in still a no show on the illumination mighty......seems as if there is no power coming from fuse box/consumer unit.

If you don't have any testing equipment it looks as if you will need an electrician.

As there are NO lights working and the new fuse has not blown the fault would appear to be a burnt or loose wire either in the CU or in the cable between CU and first light on circuit.

Still puzzled by what it was that tripped. Do you have a RCD main switch before the CU?

Are you sure you fitted the fuse wire correctly as sometimes tightening the screws down can snap the wire......

hi folks will get some pics on.......it was a barrel fuse that goes inside a circuit breaker cartridge....sorry if my wording is confusing......will also get some clearer info about the units involved........

So, when you said:
......when the trip switch was reset the lights did not work,

You meant that you replaced the fuse.

Was that a brand new, never before used fuse??

Do you have a test meter, or other votage indicating instrument (NOT a neon screwdriver).?

Could be a wire blown in a light fitting, the first one after the fuse box if there are no lights working. When insulation is stripped off the end of wire the stripper can nick into the copper, creating a weak point (like a fuse). This can exist happily for years until the wrong moment wehn it blows, just like a fuse. Same effect can come from tight terminals on thin copper, making a thin spot.

Open the ceiling rose and wiggle the connections, see if one comes adrift (power off of course).

PJ

yup Taylortwocities I replaced the fuse with a new one and have since tested it on the socket circuit and it works fine....

JohnD the trip switch has the following on it.....

residual current operated circuit breaker
240v 50hz 100A load BS 4293
WSEM 100/2 100mA TRIP

the fuse was a 30A barrel fuse that goes inside a module which then plugs into the consumer unit

will get some pics on tomorrow

EFLImpudence ... yes there is a RCD before the consumer unit and it was this that tripped (switched off)

the fuse was a 30A barrel fuse that goes inside a module which then plugs into the consumer unit
30A fuses would not be used for a lighting circuit.
It is likely there is another fuse box elsewhere supplied from main one. That will contain the blown fuse(s).

thanks guys for all your help.

had an electrician in today as my my house alarm stopped functioning. It turns out that at sometime before I purchased the property some monkey had done a diy job to the electrics........my light ring was linked from my consumer unit to a secondary fuse box(hidden behind some panelling).........the 30amp fuse that I had replaced was actually the feed from the consumer unit to the secondary fusebox.......the fusebox had given up the ghost and inturn damaged the consumer unit..........a lucky escape......electrician could not understand why I had not had a major fire, the whole job was that shoddy and apparently without need.......so living with family whilst the electrics are sorted.

the 30amp fuse on my light circuit had been bugging my for months cause I was sure it should'nt be so high but not being an electrician I never enquired......just goes to show sometimes our instincts should be listened too......I have 3 kids all under 4 in my house and could have had a unimaginable tragedy on my hands..........

you guys have been brilliant in trying to assist me with my problem and reading your advice spurred me on to take appropriate action.........many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back