House Renovation - CH & DHW Planning

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by simpic, 22 Mar 2017.

1. simpic

simpic

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,

We are in the process of moving, again. The new property is in need of complete refurb and we are adding a new 2 storey extension.

I am thinking about the appropriate design of the CH and DHW. There are a few requirements that I would like to include: -
    • All zones independently controllable, heat and time
    • Mains pressure DHW
    • Combining wet UFH with new and existing rads
    I am trying to keep it as simple as possible after the current house's complicated setup!

I have attached a very rough diagram to show what I am thinking of.

IMG_0117.JPG

All of the zones will be controlled by Heatmiser NeoStat gear and UH8-RF wiring centres. I think I need 2.

In terms of the boiler, I currently have a Intergas Combi and am very happy with it. This time I think a straight system boiler will suffice if using the indirect mains pressure cylinder. Any suggestions here? Obviously I would like the whole set up to be as efficient as possible.

Regards,

Simpic

2. Sponsored Links
  3. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Doesn't look like you need any help at all to me - all looks good there

I'd use the Intergas ECO RF though - only about £100 more and you get ten years' warranty instead of seven. Get someone who knows the boiler well to install it on hot water priority for you - this will give you a nice cool flow temperature for your heating (better efficency, but does require slightly bigger radiators) and will also ensure that the heat-up and reheat times of unvented cylinders quoted by the manufacturers are actually achieved. Joule Cyclone is an excellent match to Intergas

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. simpic

simpic

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies Gents.

To be clear, by 'Hot Water Priority' do you mean using the boiler in 'combi' mode and heating the unvented cylinder using the 'DHW' output from the boiler?

6. Sponsored Links
  7. fergie_

fergie_

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The eco RF can be set up as combi, system or regular boiler.

8. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sort of. The DHW circuit on the boiler isn't used; instead, parameters are changed to tell it it's got a cylinder to heat, and a diverter valve is installed in the heating circuit to divert between the cylinder and the heating circuits. Thus the full boiler power is sent to the cylinder to heat it up really quickly. It does mean that your radiators and UFH are temporarily "off" but the process is so quick you're highly unlikely to notice it's even happened

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. simpic

simpic

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's great. Thank you for the explanation.

I may and it's a big may, in the future want to add solar thermal. Would I have to go down the Thermal Store route now or can you get a non vented cylinder with a solar coil? Or are there 'non controlled sources' issues?

10. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just get a twin-coil cylinder - properly installed solar isn't an uncontrolled heat source

11. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local