House Rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the weekend, I've booked an electrician to re-wire my property! the work is scheduled for two weeks time. I have tho a few questions ....

1) electrician mentioned i have two options for install 1) chisel out wall and run new cable or 2) convert existing sunk boxes to surface mounting for sockets and switches and go for surface trunking. He mentioned that there is trunking on the market that is new and is able to be painted more effectivley. I've gone for the later option as it's minimal redecoration. Are there any disadvantages to doing it this way? what is the normal option for undertaking re-wires (ie what do people most commonly do).

2) I asked if the CU would be split load - he said it would def. be protected by rcd but it would depend on what type of supply was to the house. He mentioned something like TC&E or T&S (I'm not exactly sure) so can you briefly explain what this means.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) have cables chased in wall, looks better (easier to wall paper over, than trying to go around trunking)

2, look in "for refernce" (top of uk electrics)

tn-s is earch supplied with your suppliers neutral and TN-CS is supplied by your supplier but through a seperate cable, there is also TT which is no earth you need an earth rod. The sparky should be able to tell you from one look at your suppliers fuse area, you ca tell from the area where your suppliers cable go into a black box (around the fuse) then leave that box and go into your CU. If the earth (if you have one) appears to come out the box then TNC-S if it sperates before the black box TN-S. If you have a TT you will require 2 RCD's one for the incoming 100amp with delay and one for your 32amp fuses. The reg state that any socket/ring that is to operate portable outside equip then an RCD is require (wording mine) so I generally fit an RCD split load as most people will operate the mower/radio etc in the garden.

OOPS- The first sentence is reverse TN-S is separate wire before entering the black (usuallY) suppliers box and TNC-S is coming out of the black box

Sorry just read it after posting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back